How hard is it to put up an electric fence?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby and I aren't electricians, but we've got to do something. Our horses have been stuck in the barn for two weeks while this fellow down the road was supposed to be putting up our fence. We asked him to do the barnlot (two acres) so we could at least turn out the horses while we put up the rest of the pasture fences. In two weeks he's gotten some corner posts put up and most of the t-posts around three-fourths of the barnlot (the back isn't done).

We're up a creek. Hubby has an injured back (from carrying bags of concrete for the corner posts...he had back surgery in May!), but he decided we needed to put up an electric fence tomorrow so those horses can have some space.

How difficult will this be for two inexperienced folks? He is planning on putting insulators on the t-posts that are up and running the line that way. Will this work? Doesn't seem like it will be too hard, but will it hold the horses in?

2. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

T posts need a special insulator to fit. You cannot put the wire on metal. After saying that, it is really easy to run the wire. The hardest part is twisting the connections tight. You don't want them to have gaps.

They sell a plastic pole with a metal stake that you step in for portable posts. Maybe you can get some at your feed store for the back section.

Good luck.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

4. Ravenlost

Yeah, we knew we'd have to get special insulators for the t-posts. We're going to Lowe's tomorrow afternoon.

Hey...thanks for the link!

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Go to a farm store and buy the better insulators and the good quality galvanized high tensile 12 gauge wire. Otherwise, you will regret the small savings at the box store.

6. OD

OD Well-Known Member

If your horses aren't used to an electric fence, you might want to use the ribbon instead of wire. It is much easier for them to see & if it isn't going to be permanent, it's easy to take down & wind back on it's spool. It is a bit more expensive than wire though.

7. Ravenlost

Yes, the horses have been around an electric fence before. And the Coop here doesn't carry much in the way of fencing supplies.

Unfortunately we're having thunderstorms and have an 80 percent chance of them for the next two-three days. Poor horses are going to be stuck in the barn a bit longer.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My method for putting up fences is easy and fast, though might not suit everyone.

I use high tensile barbed wire. I hate smooth wire, much harder to work with.

I made a wire un-roller out of galvanized pipe for the back of my ATV. It hangs in the back (I use a chain to attach it). I put up a corner post, tie the wire to it, then drive and un roll the wire.

I load up my ATV with the fence pounder, insulators and fence posts.

I put up the posts, using a stretcher along the way. I attach each one, then go to the next one. The barbs hold the wire tight in the insulators. I found it too hard to try to stretch the whole roll at once and as I said...I hate smooth wire. It's a pain in the butt.

If I'm doing more than one wire, I put up the first one, then go back and do it again. I can put up 1/4 mile roll in about 2 hours (or less) this way.

If it's a new fence, I tie that neon ribbon stuff to it so the animals can see it. If your horses are used to electric fence, one wire will hold them.

I know lots of people don't like barbs around horses, but I've not had a problem as long as the horses are fence smart.

Jena

9. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Another link you may want to check out:
    http://www.horseguardfence.com/

We bought our place in July, and had a 60' round pen up in a couple of hours and we're a couple of very green city folk. We use a solar-powered fencer. The round pen was home to our horse & pony until we could build stalls in the barn and get additional fence up.

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena, where did you learn how to build fence. Every time you tell how to build any kind of fence, it is exactly the way I do it. At one time I had over five miles of single strand high tensil barb electric fence to divide my pastures into 11 different fields with access lanes. I never ever had a cow go over the wire, even when the fence was off for a day or more. Some of the cows were wild enough to jump over a cattle panel without touching it. Most of my posts were old T posts that had rusted off at ground level. I spaced them about 50 feet apart. I found over 100 of them at an auction once for 10 cents each.

11. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

12. dla

dla Well-Known Member

We are very happy with a product called electrobraid for our horse fences. It is white, and around here that means there is less chance of the deer kicking into it and knocking down your fence. It is easy to handle, and cannot injure the horses.
    But you do have to order it.
    We set up and take down fences with it - no problem.

13. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I guess I made it up as I went along. My husband originally showed me by rolling out a whole roll, then trying to pull it tight from the end (losing proposition, especially in high grass). I came up with the unroller thing after watching him try to un-roll rolls with a t-post wired to the back of the tractor. What a mess that makes!

I didn't even attempt to pull it tight from the end, but figured if I kept pulling as I went along, it would work...and it does :)

I have 12 paddocks, all fenced with that single wire. I do have two wires up along the road to be sure the calves can't get out (and they don't). My cows rarely get out and if they do, it's through the perimeter fences (old woven wire). They just learn that wire is a no-no and give it a wide margin.

I strongly suspect that I could pen those cows with NO wire...just yellow insulators on posts, but I'm too chicken to try it!

Jena

14. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

:haha: My mom has held three horse in with sea grass string for weeks at a time. She needed to let them into my grandmothers neighboring field one time but didn't have enough wire on hand to sub dived it for them.So she got to thinking, they didn't try the electric fence any more.And even if they did try it they couldn't go far.So if she just ran some string across there with orange marking tape tied to it every so many ft like the regular electric fenced areas, they might just buy it.And they did! :haha:
    She had a huge roll of the sea grass string for caneing chairs,same as bailing twin.(i think caneing is what you call it? You no the woven string bottom chairs= country! ) :D Anyway it made it cheap easy temp fence.LOL

Now with that said she did have a 28 year old pony that was smarter than any Ive seen.He could tell (some how? ) whether the fence was off or on.So she couldn't string him alone. :haha: