How hard can it be to

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Mar 11, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

build a window box?
    Any handy persons out there? Do I need to do more than screw 5 pieces of board together, drill drainage holes and maybe paint a coating on it?
    Our front window is odd size (a bit over 7 feet) and I'd like a box to cover the entire area.
    What obvious points am I completely missing? :eek:

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

You might buy a cheap jigsaw(I think mine was like $20) and cut some edging or whatever on the front board.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pull up google, put in 'messmans wood working site' , many different plans there.

4. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

If your window boxes are going to be in direct sun at least half the day,you might not want drain holes.I have mine lined with black plastic,from fertlizer bags.The soil dries out quickly in hot weather.The plastic makes it easy to remove the dirt if I change it and I do at least every other year.My DH built mine 8to10 years ago and they still look like new.Good luck building yours,they will be pretty.

5. suelandress

I have no overhang there (maybe 2 inches) Will it become waterlogged in a downpour? It is in direct sun most of the day.

6. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess you will need the drain holes after all.I have an over hang,I think the suns reflection and heat from the window glass dries them out in no time.

7. suelandress

Maybe if I make them extra deep? I haven't figured out how I'm going to hang it yet :eek: