how handle out of control kids

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmgirl8388, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

Hey yall im finally getting my goats, but they havnt been handle since they were born, how should i handle this situation. lyn

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Lyn when we get wild rescue kids we isolate them in a 30x30 pen but have a divider in place making it 10x10. We get in with them, one person sitting still in each corner, with grain and hay on our laps. When they approach we don’t try to pet them but do talk to them. After about a week of this they are touchable. Then we work them the same way until they are approachable, then the pen gets enlarged to 20x20. Once they no longer run they get the full 30x30 until they clear medical and meet the herd.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

When I get new goats, I put out plenty of good hay for them so they're not going to go hungry. Then I sit inside the barn with sunflower seeds or grain in my lap. The only way they get seeds or grain is from my hand. At first they just come up and sniff. Then they'll come up and nibble. Once they're nibbling without any problems I start touching them - just a little scritch on the nose at first. Pretty soon they're practically coming into my lap and running up as soon as they see me - goodies or not.

It usually takes my critters about 3 weeks to really tame down.

4. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

Well yall i understand sitting with them, but there 5 and half weeks old and havent even been handle at all since birth. i would like to know what you can do for halter training, i know halters are probally not used often, but i would like them to have one on when i take them to the vet etc so there not stressed when one is put on. So any ideas

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Once you have the goats coming up to you and letting you handle them, then you start introducing them to the halter (I use dog collars for my guys). Then put them on leash and bribe them along while you walk with them on leash. Just the same way you train a dog to behave on a leash. You can teach them simple commands - mine don't obey nearly as well as my dogs do, but they do come when called and they know what "NO!" means.

Goats really are suckers for food. Use that fact to get them to do whatever you want. My goats will do just about anything for sunflower seeds.