Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at possibly getting a doeling that is 50/50 boer and nubian. I was hoping for a goat that will be a good milker but that when bred and produced buck kids could make decent butcher whethers. Would this be the case or should I keep pure boers for butchering and pure dairy for milk? Suggestions? Thanks.

·
www.waltersgirlsfarm.com
299 Posts
I have never had dairy, but I heard that they are good milkers and the offspring tend to have bigger carcuses because of the milk production.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Totally depends on the individual goat. You might get one who has extra teats(perfectly ok in a Boer but not in a dairy goat), a ball udder, gives just enough to grow kids and dries off after three months. All of which is perfectly acceptable in a Boer doe who is going to raise her own kids, but not desirable for a milking goat.
Or you might get one with two good teats(you can check for this before buying), a decently attached udder, gives a gallon a day, but she is still likely to dry off after about 3-5 months. That is the way meat goats are programmed.
Personally, if you are looking for a doe you can milk but you want to butcher her kids, I would get a large-framed well-built dairy doe(preferably Lamancha, Nubian or Saanen in my experience), breed her to a good Boer buck and eat the offspring. Works very well here. She will milk better and longer than a percentage Boer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts