How good are left over boiled peanuts for pigs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by hermitfarmer, Jul 13, 2004.

1. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer Active Member

Hello Again,Question will al the salt in boiled peanuts that people sell be good or bad for pigs? I have access to a good deal of peanuts that a group of dealers have leftover after they sell them at the retail stores. I am a scrounger and look for anything "Free" or even better. Anyhow thanks for all the replies to come.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be real carefull. You may be able to feed some, but salt is one of the few things that can poison a hog. I know a breeder who lost a whole herd of range hogs when the feed truck mistakenly put salt feed in the self feeders. Learn the salt content of the peanuts and speak to your county extension agent, or a state university, they should be able to tell you whats safe.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Pigs require salt, just not huge amounts. I worked at a local feed mill, and we regulary mixed 10 pounds of salt with 1000 pounds of feed. Are these peanuts still in the shell? Are they presalted? If they were boiled in the shell, do they add salt to the water they boil them in?
    If a hog drinks salty water it can kill them in a hurry. A case in point was a neighbor who put a pan of salt out for his boar. It rained quite a bit and nearly filled the salt pan with water..
    The boar drank some of it and kicked the bucket.
    I'd start slow, and gradualy increase the peanuts keeping a sharp eye on their actions.

4. Feeding peanuts will produce a very soft very oily meat the fat drips off the hog during hanging and it is so soft it was very hard to cut up even with commercial equipment this doesnt take very much peanuts so
    Discontinue the peanuts awhile before butchering my experience was with one hog brought in to the small plant I worked at

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

The famous Smithfeild hams come from peanut fed hogs.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

almost anything can be recycled into pork