How goats sound when the chores are done late!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am laughing so hard right now!

I am exceptionally tired so my son is doing the chores---he does them a lot. My dd is helping him. But they got a 4-wheeler yesterday so they were making trails in the woods until past dark.

When the goats heard them getting the grain and hay waaaay later then usual, they starting yelling and "crying" and complaining.

What makes me laugh is that their TONES are so similar to a spoiled baby who gets picked up at the first cry, and then has to wait for once in a while. When you get to them they are sobbing, all hurt feelings, then a few tones of angry outrage, then back to self pity. They really can't believe they had to WAIT!

A couple of the Nigies have these really cute baby elephant trumpety drama queen yells, and then a couple of the Nubian crosses sound like a foghorn with a Yiddish accent. All mixed in with the pathetic, long drawn-out "Maaaaaaaaas!" of all the other goats.

What a zoo!

My goats are too spoiled.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

HEHEHE!

My roosters crow at 7am profusely to be let out! This causes the goats and calf(who is low and loud cause he wants MOOOOOOOOOOORE!)

So I'm walking to the barn and the chix are let out of coop...and I get the hurry up noise from the goats...then they all run into the barn....I toss hay in the barn and out in the pasture and a treat to the pigs (who start snorting as they hear the barn door open)....I milk Brownie and feed her Naughty Daughter....then Paint gets milked and Big Shot, Daisy and Hope come up for grain....they go down and CLeo comes up for milking....the CALF starts in again MOOOOORE! MOOOOOOOORE! MOOOOOORE!....and the pigs start squeeling in unison with cow...Cleo goes down and Ruby(pyrnad's girl) comes up for milking....MOOOORE! MOOOOORE!....the dog gets mad at the cow for being so loud and starts yipping at him....Ruby goes down and I run down the fence line while cow follows along to get his bottle...slurpadilly-doo and he's pounded 1/2 gal. of milk....I run up to the barn to some very noisy pigs....slop and water them before cow catches me and bumps me for MOOOOOOOORE! milk please!....then the pigs fight...its even louder than the "FEEEEEEED MEEEEEEE" squeel.....I do have a radio down at the barn but I'm not sure why...because I can hardly hear myself think :rolleyes: :help:

Demanding little buggers I tell ya :grump: No complaints from the neighbors yet though :)

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Yep, three-ring circus around here too! :)

I think they must hear the alarm during the week, because I've noticed this weekend that a) the kittens haven't been waiting at the back door, and b) the goats have been quiet until I actually walk out to the barn. No such luck with the rooster, though!

I get "meh-eh-eh-eh" from the Saanens, the Alpine and one of the Nigerians. The Nubian cross goes "WOEoeoeOOOOE" (such a drama queen :p ) and most of the Nigies say "BLEAH!" - one of them is very gutteral - sounds like she smokes and drinks whiskey LOL. The Nigie babies either sound like cartoon mice "ee-ee-ee" or "maaaaAAAaaa". Sadie, the one with the hernia, was rather squeaky yesterday - don't know if she yelled so much she lost her voice, or what. She was back on full form today. Then the geese start in complaining. They spent the whole summer on the back pond and then moved back up to the barn about a week ago, expecting to be fed twice a day.

Once I start graining the horses again, I can expect lots of whinnies in the mix too.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

we are living since three years on this farm and finally met our neighbors.
    for the longest time they felt very sorry for us because they thought we have a disabled child :rolleyes: my nubians call in a lot of different tones. :)

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a lady in the rental that butts our pasture (you cant see the pasture until winter from that rental) thinking that I was always hollering at and beating the kids because of the Nubians.....she paid me a visit and so I made the goats talk and she apologized for thinking bad thoughts about me :shrug:

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Ours aren't very noisy at feeding time. Connie (the cow) has this very quite little "Moo :)" that means "hooray, it's dinner time. You can actually hear the little smiley face in her voice. Even though our goats are Nubians and Nubian/Alpine crosses, dinner time is mainly hoof sounds and the occasional thunking sound.

That's probably because they free range up until dinner time. At about 8 pm they all come up backyard one and they silently stare at us in the kitchen until we go out to get the grain. They don't get let back into their night pasture until after we've filled the bowls, and then it's quite a sight watching them go through the gate.

Now if they are in the night pasture, and we start doing something in the yard before we let them out in the morning it's a totally different story! Maaaaahhhhhh! Naaaaahhhhh! and Blaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! (That was Bindy, Cocoa, and Buster.) We know better than to try to sneak out for a morning spring morel hunt while leaving them behind.

Maaaaaahhhhh!!!! Naaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Bllaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Whhhaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maaaaaahhhhh!!!! Naaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Bllaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Whhhaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maaaaaahhhhh!!!! Naaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Bllaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Whhhaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maaaaaahhhhh!!!! Naaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Bllaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Whhhaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough to scare morels back underground!

Sandy calls my husband by name: "Paaaaaaattttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The other folks each have their own particular voice. Pat (a musician) can easily recognize each one just by their voice, and I can usually tell who it is but sometimes get a few folks crossed. Connie has a full vocabulary of Moos. The Moo she makes when she want to find the goat herd is really cool - foghorn like, and then she listens in all directions with rotating ears for a sign of where the herd might be.

Buster also tends to grumble a lot as he walks along doing things. If my husband or I hear the other one mumbling or muttering in the other room and can't quite make out the words, we usually ask "who let Buster in?"

Some of our guys, including Nubian Buddy, talk very little. When we hear them speak, we know it's something important and go out to check what's up. Most of the time, though, if there's trouble (like a run in with yellow jackets) they all just band together and assemble in backyard #1 where there fence comes right up by our house and porch. I think the fact that they can always get that close to the house decreases how often they feel they need to shout for us.

But wow, at dinner time you don't even need to be near the window to feel their eyes boring through the sides of the house as they try to will us into getting out there and serving up their bedtime snack!

Lynda

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

LOL Angel hums when she's eating - "mmm, mmm" - must be good! Sometimes she'll stick her muzzle in your ear and murmur too - we call it whispering sweet nothings. :p

I don't always recognize which kid is talking but I know all the adults. If I'm nearby, I'll just say "hi Angel" or "hi Sara".

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

So many funny stories!!!

I remember the first time I heard the yell of a peacock. I almost fainted. I was a little high strung in those days.

My dh's aunt had a parrot that would call her sil---his name was Xavier. If you were talking to her on the phone you could hear it calling----"Xavieeeeerrrr! Xavieeeeerrr!" It would also yell: "Praise the Lord!"

Loved it.