How far, what elevation can a well pump pump?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by susanneb, Oct 1, 2005.

1. susanneb

susanneb Well-Known Member

Our very rural property (just under 4 acres), already has a well, septic, and utilities, but they were installed for the existing mobile home at the bottom of the property.

We would like eventually to build up toward the top of our ridge to take advantage of the views. I have assumed all along that we would need to put in a new well and septic tank/leachfield, but recently a relative suggested that we should be able to pump from our existing well. hmm..

The future homesite is about 49 feet higher than the existing site, and perhaps 240?? feet horizontally.

This seems like it would take a powerful pump to bring water up that far, but hey -- what do I know?

What do you think?

2. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    49 feet is only requires about 21 psi more pump pressure. This seems very doable -- it is possible that you may not even have to change pumps depending on whats in there.

Keeping the pressure drop down on the 240 ft of pipe is just a matter of making the diameter large enough to not cause a lot of pressure drop along the pipe.

If you want to be able to pump water at 20 gpm (this is enough to support watering the garden etc.), then:

For 1 inch pipe the loss for 240 ft would be 11 psi
    For 1.25 inch pipe the loss for 240 ft would be 3.3 psi
    For 1.5 inch pipe the loss for 240 ft would be 1.7 psi
    For 2 inch pipe the loss for 240 ft would be 0.6 psi

Since PE pipe is pretty cheap these days, I'd go for at least 1.5 inch.

Gary
    www.BuildItSolar.com

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

No problem. Your current pump might do it, or an easy upgrade. To compare, we use a 2hp submersible pump to pump water up about 80 feet and horizontally 1000 feet, to feed two houses and 160 head of dairy cattle. Works great, unfortunately it's a $2000 pump. You should be able to do much better.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................If and when you build further up the hill , You'll probably want to move the pressure tank to the new house as well . To pump water into the pressure tank higher up the hill will require more pressure loss as well . A knowledgeable well man will beable to advise you as to the ability of your current pump to accomplish the task . fordy... :)

5. bryon huff

bryon huff Well-Known Member

my well is 225 ft with a 220 amp water pump and I get 4 gpm with 175 feet water 4 in pipe

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got one well at 380', and the pump at 250. Pump is a 1 hp with a 1" supply pipe. Don't know what the gallon per min rating is, but it's plenty of water for one house and then some.