How far ...South , in south texas , before it gets Warm ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................My water line to my trailer has been frozen for two days , but I had a full 65 gallons in my holding tank so no problems . Personally , I've been frozen for the last week . So , I've been thinking seriously , about moving further south . Now , if you study a globe , south texas is just as "far south" as the south end of florida , not counting all those little islands that Jimmy Buffet owns since he recorded that tune about tequila and blenders and women . So , all I need is about 500 bucks to buy diesel , a better spare tire for my truck and alittle gas for my new chinese generator . I just realized that when I get to south texas I'll need a new Wardrobe , LOL . You know , thongs , shorts , lots of big old flowerdy shirts and I'll still beable to wear all fifty pair of my wornout jockey skivvies . I wore 34's for years , then 36's and finally ....38's . Went down to Jacque Penneyae's to see about purchasing some New Skivvies and they don't come 3 pair at a time like they use too . The lady asked me how Long it had been since I'd purchased new skivvies , and I guestimated right around 1984 or so . See , I wear my skivvines until the elastic is dangling out of my cutoffs , then I know it's time to retire that "pair" to the dumper . Am I frugal or What ?
    .................Well I'm drifting off the main subject line which is about moving too south texas . Now , for those that haven't seen ST , it is very flat . Native folks also know it gets very hot , but at this particular moment 'Hot' don't seem too bad since I just pulled the thermometer from betwixt my toes and it was reading 20 degrees f. Homesteading in ST should be very productive since they seem to beable to grow anything from Pot to grapefruit . Maybe I'll find an acre or so , priced real cheap so I can have a home for my trailer and maybe I can setup some kind of roadside business . ONe more week of this kind of weather and I'm definitely going to make a move to south texas or florida , whichever comes first . Later , fordy... :p

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Fordy you are Talking about The Rio Grande Valley I live in Hildago county. The lowest we have had this winter has been 35 degrees. The weather today was 53 degrees. and the rest of the week is in the 50-60 degree range. Overnite lows 40's They are planting Watermelons in A few weeks. P M me and i can get you A list of R V Parks. The sites rent from $135.00 To $195 A month We are just Minutes from Old Mexico. And An hour to the Gulf. And Corpus Christi has the Battleship Lexington. And A great Aquirium. If interested Let me know. The peak months here are Sept to May for retireees. You can look Mission Texas up on the net. We are on U S 83 and just west of U S 281. The Citrus fiesta starts next week. And theres A great butterfly park as well As the Santa Anna Wildlife Santc.uary

3. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful...I have spent a great deal of time in different parts of Texas (mostly West/Central and Hill Country) ...but never the Rio Grande Valley area. I may just have to visit after that introduction. It sounds like my kind of place. I moved to La. because I hate the cold, yet these past two weeks we have had nothing but ice, freezing rain and sleet and very cold temps :grump:.

4. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

and how well do those palm trees burn?

After digging our our driveway for the 4th time since the first of the month--blowing snow packs in much tighter than it does falling semi-straight down--DH threatened to tie the snow shovel to the front of the pickup and not stop going south until someone didn't know what the thing tied to the pickup was. :baby04: No foolin, On wednesday, he spent 14 hours on the tractor trying to get the drive cleared so we could go to work. He quit midday when the winds were 30 + mph, but didn't get us dug out until 11 p.m. that night.

Gotta get a bigger tractor.

But, really, how well do those palm trees burn?

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

I grew up in Corpus... From '62 - '72 as I recall it snowed twice, once we were actually able to make small snow folks. Ice storms a few times, but it always went away in a day or so. Many years we would go to the beach to swim/surf/fish during Christmas break. I think C.C. and points south would get the mild climate you're looking for - of course a lot of the 'points south' is the King Ranch LOL.

One word of caution... If you do go down there, and it does snow/ice up the roads DO NOT drive anywhere. Most of the folks that live there have never driven on ice or snow and don't have any idea how to...

6. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I would think Brownsville, TX would be about the fartherest you could get. Chance of rain and in the 60's all week. They've been at or near 80F a few times this month, but also down into the 30's. Coldest last month was 36F and the warmest was 84F. You could also head towards the ocean. Always warmer by the ocean.

Want heat? Homestead, FL's low min temp so far this month has been 48F. We hit that here in the summer! Decembers low min for the month was 53F.