How far South does Alfalfa grow?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shootingstar, May 14, 2005.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar Active Member

How far South does Alfalfa grow? I need to buy Timothy/Alfalfa or straight Alfalfa (my second choice) hay for my horse and I need to find out how far I will have to travel to buy some. I can buy it here but they want $7.00 a sq bale and I have used half a bale and have not found any alfalfa in it yet. They said it came from Kentucky. I have a flat bed trailer and will be looking for large round bales (or possibly square bales if I can't find round bales) but I don't know how far north to start looking. I am 60 miles South of Birmingam Alabama. I don't want to go into hay business, I just want some good quality hay for my own animals. Thanks for your help.

Lori

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I see a lot of alfalfa hay grown in TX,AZ and NM as it seems to grow better in dry climates.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Alfalfa bales are running around $9-9.50 per 80 lb bale in AZ. We had a very wet winter, and between that and the fuel prices, and development (houses growing in hay fields) the cost of hay is through the roof even though this is alfalfa country.

Leva

5. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

You can always plant it and maybe even make it survive over a year but it won't thrive or be economical south of Huntsville, in your area. It wont hardly stick in MS south of hwy. 78 and it really only starts to do better further north in TN.

6. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

I dont know if this will help but we have hay for sale and do deliver. If we
    dont have what you need I know how to get it. And since we have hay
    that is taken as far south as Florida I cant see why Alabama wouldnt work.
    If you are interested in the cost to have it brought to you email me privately
    and I can get the info to you.

Christina
    athome in South Dakota
    athome@evertek.net