How far off the highway are ya??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OrganicGuy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. OrganicGuy

OrganicGuy Active Member

Our 80 acres is 11.5 miles, give or take a tenth from a paved road. I was wondering how far and how hard it is for some of you to get to town in bad weather. When it's dry the roads which are graded twice a year are no problem. When it rains its mud and 4x4 only. Even with mud tires its still slippery and when you pass the two cattle watering areas which constintaly pump water and have been saturating the surrounding ground its a real you know what. I dont know why it bothers me in CA I have to drive 60 miles just to get to a real grocery store?? Go figure. Sometimes I wish I would of purchased a parcel closer to the highway but the beauty was just not there and alot of those close parcels are bare and in flood zones. The 80 we have are full of wanna be trees and have nice sloping hills, very beautiful. There will be times in the summer when the monsoons will make it impossible to get out. I should be able to stock up enough where it wont matter if we cant get out. Emergencies worry me a little I think they have medi-vacs?
    Maybe I will weld a bracket that can hold a small dirt bike or even bicycle in case the landcruiser becomes disabled.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I must thank all of you again for having me, it feels like family and that's something I need very much now.
    God Bless

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

My place is on a paved Farm to Market road. 7miles to hometown, 5 miles to the town I work in, 11 miles to the county seat. Major state highways and interstates about 10 miles away.
    Ed

3. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

3 miles to town, 1/2 mile unpaved driveway, and no problems less it snows -- then the 2 hills which are about as steep as i have ever seen and i drive for a living -- kill ya!

4. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

3/4 of a mile of rough gravel to the paved road then 8 miles to the "town". My neighbor has a tractor and blade so snow is not a problem.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Right now we have one mile of mud that you better be getting it all the way,if you should let off it for any reason you are stuck.

big rockpile

6. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

We have a half mile of gravel road that the county maintains pretty well in the winter,(summers the dust is unbearable). Then we have about 3 miles of "back road" before we hat a main highway. "Town, if you can really call it that, is about 5 miles away. DH works (or did until his back injury) in Cincinnati, which is an hour drive one way. The closest grocery store is about 10 miles away.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Must be spring with all the mud we all have LOL. We are 15 miles off the pavement and 16 miles off the interstate exchange. 8 miles of regular dirt farm road complete with small lakes and potholes and then 7 miles of up hill 4x4 jeep forest service trail to our 40 acres of heaven! Due to the season (spring thaw) I am trying to go to town only once a week. Went today and ended up getting high centered in the mud about 5.5 miles from home. Finally got out by using the little chain saw I carry in my emergency kit to cut some big fir branches i could jam into the mud under the tires till I had enough to rock myself out. Thank the Lord for skid plates or I would have been toast! And all this cause I wanted to buy some more chicken feed while it was on sale! LOL

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

We have about a third of a mile of gravel road to the paved road, maybe another third of a mile to the highway, and twelve miles to town. It's not too bad. Actually, I would have liked to be farther off pavement, but considering my grandmother's age, we are probably best off where we are.

Kathleen

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We have 1/4 mile of gravel driveway to a nice paved road. Not plowed in the winter, but it's sloped well enough that it's driveable. Then it's 2 miles to the major road into town.

At that 2 mile mark is a gas station, convenience store, post office, and a couple of watering holes. It's 27 miles to a decent grocery store, pharmacy, or feed store.

10. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

We have about a 4th of a mile gravel road also, then about 5 miles of paved Rural Road, then about 5 miles to town on the freeway or back roads. But if we want to go to a big town like Springfield, its 65 miles away.

11. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

We are 1/4 mile from the farm to market road. Three miles from the small bump in the road called Crabbs Prarie where I went to the small country school until the third grade then transferred to the city school :no: 7 miles away. I was the only one in 3rd grade. So I am about 10 miles from the "big" city.

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

we are one mile from the gravel road, and we drive 2 wd back here, believe it or not (those who have been here are laughing)
    and about 2 1/2 miles from the end of the pavement, 4 1/2 from town , and the highway, 12 from the hospital

we did have an emergency early on when we moved here, son cut open his hand and needed stitches, this was before the road was fixed, so yes he had to walk 1/2 mile to get to the car, then we drove him into the hospital for 11 stitches...was it a hassle, yes, is it a concern now that im expecting ... sort of, but since we are plannign home birth , its not too big of a concern

in all actuality, it was MORE of a hassle when he was attending public school he hated having to walk or on lucky days ride the 4 wheeler the whole mile and a half to where the bus would come and pick him up no the bus didnt come to the gate, he had to go an additional 1/2 mile to where the road intersects with another one for the bus to get him, a big hassle and thought for me, as our youngest is going to be 5 and supposed to start school , we have decided to homeschool her too ,if i cant get the bus to come any closer, andtrust me i tried and begged, .. this in part helped him decide to go with homeschool again , which is fine with me

any how, we like being off the beaten path , and miles beyond the sidewalks

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We are on a paved road, just about a mile from a major highway. This is because my DH is a city boy and LIKES it that way!

Our place was more expensive because of this, but DH's happiness is worth it. He has just a 20 minute easy commute to his office.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a half mile of gravel driveway to a paved country road, then four miles to a rural State highway that takes us the seven miles into town. The only time we would have trouble getting into town is when it floods or there's been a tornado, or an ice storm. We had a minor ice storm in December and were stuck at the house (which was fine with us) for a few days.

15. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

1/4 mile from paved roads... nearest marked highway is 3 miles... small town about 6 miles in (with interstate access) and fort smith is about 13 miles from us.

16. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

Our 7 acres is a mile and a half from pavement, then it's another 3 miles to town from there. Another 2 miles gets you across the Connecticut River into Vermont where there is an Interstate.

The town maintains the dirt road fairly well. Mud season is pretty much over but the road is pretty chopped up. Our trucks are 2wd, but have mud tires and lots of ground clearance.

17. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

We're on a narrow paved road. It is 9 miles to the nearest store, 18 miles to county seat and 20 miles (in other direction and different county) to bigger town where we do most shopping. Twenty-three miles to interstate. No hospital, interstate, or railroad in this county.

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I have about 400ft of driveway that leads to about 1/2 mi of gravel road, that in turn leads to 12 mi of 2 lane rough asphalt,that leads to a state highway. It's all up hill from the 2 lane & I like it that way. The gravel road gets a little dicey when we have a heavy rain, & my driveway has a bad place about 150ft in,but it keeps the salesmen away. I could fix that bad place in the driveway, but I guess I'll leave it there.It makes everyone slow way down. Sort of a security checkpoint.

19. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

We have 550 ft of frontage on our north end to a 2 lane state highway,(no shoulders yet) and are one mile from a major N/S highway. And 1/2 mile of frontage along the county road on our west side. We are about 24 miles south of Shawnee, Okla. (on I-40)

20. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we are about 1 1/2 miles from pavement but a long way from a highway