how far do you drive to work

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scaryguyoy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

Hi ,Im struggling with my long drive back and forth to work.I dont really have the option of quitting my job as it pays well.So we are considering moving,I want to find out if im just a whiner or if my drive is as bad as i think it is.Im averaging 1 hour 20 minutes one way.
    Frank

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I drive either 16 or 20 miles to work.

16 miles when the 5 school zones are not operating, 20 when I go the other way and go thru 4 school zones.

When school is out 25 minutes, when school is in 45min to 1 hour.

Looking at a house 42 miles from work and the drive would be 45 to 60 minutes, 2/3 on interstate.

AngieM2

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I now drive 12 miles to work. It takes me 20 min. That seems a long time to travel 12 miles till you realize it is in the Ozarks. Thats good time.
    I did commute an hour each way for about a year and a half so I do know how you feel. My DH did it for two years. Glad that is over but this twenty min. drive is awful in bad weather.

4. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

I drive about an hour and ten minutes, and I know how you feel, this is definitely the max I would go, and for the same reasons as you, I have a good job, and also have a good place to live, too bad they aren't in the same place, but oh well, put on the tunes, grab a coffee and a muffin and try and enjoy the ride. (I know, thats impossible)
    :)

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Right now 30 minutes. After the move 2 hrs 15 min. :( But I won't complain. At least I get to come home at night to my little homestead.

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

When in Vancouver, it is a one short block walk along the water, at False Creek from our condo/house to the office, about 2 minute walk.

At the Homestead it's a zero commute to work - usually have to go downstairs and get started or outside and start the tractor or chop the wood, or about 250 feet to the garden or 20 feet to the herb garden.

Too bad, huh?

Alex

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I walk to work. It's about 45 paces next door.

I had a job in town. At that time the commute was 20 miles. Generally, I have to take that trip into town for business at least 2 times a week now. It's a drag.

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

65 miles but it's a beautiful Black Hills commute

9. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Hour and a half each way on a good day. It has been up to 3 hours one way depending on traffic and how much construction is going on. Summers are worse because of beach traffic, but construction has been going on for 3 years on the Bay Bridge with at least one lane closed all the time. Do I need to say how much I hate it?

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

17 miles each way - takes about 25 minutes. Pretty easy compared to Denver when it took me 45 minutes to go 10 miles to work!

Every time I have to go over to Seattle and get stuck in that commute I feel really bad for the poor people who sit on that road twice a day every day. That has got to be horrible!

11. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I drive an hour to work every day and an hour and a half every day to get home. I cannot afford to live in the city I work and I cannot afford to work in the town I live.

13. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

91 miles, one way. One hour, forty-five minutes. Pretty nice drive, especially in Spring.

14. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

I walk 51 of my feet as measurement. But I do remember 2 hour drives commuting in Houston years ago, getting through the Spagetti Bowl leaving downtown and depending on the traffic flow with wrecks on the Katy Freeway, everybody trying to get out of downtown Houston.

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here any work is no less than 25 miles.My former Boss begged me to drive 80 miles one way,to keep working for him.But I couldn't do it for $6 an houre.

Had one Job I drove 500 miles one way,every day. :rolleyes: Well I was driving Tractor Trailer :haha:

big rockpilr

16. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

well I can't beat Sancraft. :D

I use to commute 110 miles each way. Bout an Hour and twenty minutes down the interstate.

17. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

LOL We used to commute from Wenatchee WA to Kirkland WA everyday, the glitch was that dh has no license, so I am the "driver" I would drive him to work 2 hours to get there, then drive 2 hours back to Wenatchee to work the property, then drive 2 hours to pick him up, turn around immediately drive back to Wenatchee another 2 hours--then repeat 5 days a week with a 3 month old baby the whole time, 8 hours of straight driving a day ). This lasted 1 month :no: Now I drive him to work from Wenatchee to Leavenworth and it's about 20min. one way so in total I drive 1 hour and 20min. (in good weather twice as long in bad) to get him there and back. Total 80 miles a day 6 days a week--but way better than crossing Stephens Pass 4 times a day LOL

18. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

About 4 miles each way to the shop.

19. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Just to add to the general consensus:

Used to commute 10 miles in a big city, which took 30 minutes each way, roughly. Hated it.

Now commute about 60 miles through the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains, which takes exactly one hour each way. Love it. Hubby and I work together with our kids with us, and the commute is great family/relaxing time. Just sometimes got to help keep each other awake if we get too relaxed ;)

20. Jasen

Jasen Member

I have 43 miles from my driveway to the hospital each way. Its a mix of back roads and state hwys. I dont like driving now at all...I used to find it relaxing, but 5 or six days in a row! I cant find enjoyment in the scenery anymore...maybe because its winter and everything is BROWN!!!

We have our small farm though, but I dont have time to enjoy it due to so much driving and working...this has to be temporary...it would be nice if my wife was working at the same place so we could talk on the drive ect...