How far away for pumpkins and gourds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hengal, Jan 18, 2007.

1. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

I have a spot out in the back of the property that I would like to grow pumpkins this year. I thought it would also be a good place for my gourd trellis' as the vines would have plenty of room to spread back there. My question is, is there such a thing as cross pollination between these two? Should they not be planted in the same area? I'm not talking on top of each other obviously, but I don't want some weird crosses either. I've grown gourds for years but they've always been off by themselves. Anyone know? Thanks! :)

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

You only need to concern your self with this if you are saving seed. But because pumpkins and gourds are a different genus they will not cross even for seed saving.

3. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

True enough, although some 'gourds' are actually C. pepo varieties, just like many pumpkins, so Hengal might want to separate, IF she's going to save seed.

4. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;An easy way to tell is by the shape of the seed.If it is a Lagenaria the seed will be squared off on the edge and usually darker in color.If the seed looks like a squash seed then it will be a C.Pepo.-

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I looked this up and Steve L. is right. THe vegetable gourd is related to c.pepo type pumpkins.
    Sorry bout that.

6. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

As a Master Gardener in Oregon, I get this question a lot. Yes they can cross, But if you have kids and a place to grow these crosses they can be a fun experiment. Some may be eatable others are not :) When my kids were little and now the kids down the road, we have the experimental garden. Can be lots of fun, you never know what you might get.

Edit, How far to seperate them, as far as a bee can fly. :)

7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

so what i have been told about bee polinated plants are that 20 feet with a tall barrier like corn between is usualy sufficient

would you say that is generaly true.

8. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Interesting! Thanks very much for all the info. I'm not going to be saving seed. (I think I have a lifetime supply from all the dried gourds I have on hand! :rolleyes: )