How early is too early for bucks?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Feb 26, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

What is a good age to put bucks with does and have them bred? I have heard of young bucks breeding successfully, but I do not want to harm my buck. Any help would be appreciated!! :eek:

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

Our does were bred by a three month old buck in 2002. Both of our does were yearlings and both had twins. One criteria for a buck is that he is tall enough to reach.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

As long as a buck can reach they have been known to work at 2 mths here. My buck will be only 5 1/2 mths when I breed my does to him...I have already sussed out a few holes in his paddock to stand the doe in to help him reach. :) And when the doe is right "ON" then I am sure she will be as accommodating as possible. ;)

4. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I have a 2 month old who is already spraying himself and acting interested. I'm going to have to separate him from the girls. As long as the lerger girls will stand for him, he'll be ok. He's got to be tall enough.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The issue really isn't harming your buck, it's whether or not your buck is tall enough to do the job.

Also, making sure he's doing the job on the proper part of the doe (they get a bit confused sometimes...).

6. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

My fainter buck had two sets of twins on his 10 month birthday. Plus he's got 3 more does due also. He didn't question what those bigger does were in by him for! Got right to work.