How early can a doe deliver and be safe?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Apr 20, 2006.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I have a 4 year old Boer/Alpine X, bred to a FB Boer. She (Dana) is due May 6th but the the last week I noticed her udder getting a bit bigger. It's full now but not hard. Her ligaments are nearly gone, terribly sunken in around the tail and croup and bellied-down. I checked her 'milk' and it is the same consistancy of Elmers glue with a slightly yellow tinge, very sticky and very sweet (yes I did, just barely). Oh and she's digging in her bedding a LOT, getting up and down trying to be comfortable, and pees in little gushes.
    Her last owner said she usually has triplets and that she would probably go at 145 days but that's still 10 days away. How early can does be with the kids still being alright? :help:
    I have her in a 8' x 8' stall with clean bedding and a video monitor at night, small dry lot during the day. (Still working on the pasture fence)

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Are you absolutely certain of her due date? And, she could still go her full time. My half Boer half Oberhasli doe had me watching her like a hawk for three weeks before she finally kidded (pasture bred, didn't know the exact date). She had always had twins but had big triplets this time, and had been big as a house for several months!

Kathleen

3. KimM

According to her former owner (who is a good friend) said she was only bred on one day...I asked her if she was "sure" about that exact breeding date too!
    So even with the colostrum like that and her ligaments and all, she can hold out for 2 more weeks? UGH! :eek: I thought horses were bad. Hmmm, I wonder if the milk-test strips would work on a goat.

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. Once her ligaments are all gone, she should kid very soon. The full udder doesn't necessarily mean in the next day or two, but the ligaments are a pretty sure sign.

We had an LM kid at 143 days and her kids were ok, after a slow start. But I would 10 days before day 145 would not be good.

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

many of my does went 140 this year. Allkids were precocious vivacious and healthy, but i have nigies. GOOD LUCK

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

It sounds like she is close. She might be able to hang on a few more days. Good luck. Keep us posted.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Good Luck. I will be praying for a good turn out. Keep us updated. Good Luck, bye.

8. KimM

Dana seems to have halted all progression, which I'm happy about so they won't be too early. But I'm getting excited!!!!! I have another doe bred to the same buck and she is also due May 6. I've seen other kids by the same buck these does are bred to and they're REAL nice.
    I have my kidding kit and my camera ready!