How does your homestead make money?

Discussion in 'Work-at-Home Business' started by Microinohio, May 20, 2013.

1. thericeguy

thericeguy Well-Known Member

I cannot say that I am "making money" yet. We sell chicken eggs to my wifes co-workers. That money pays the feed bill for chickens and the pigs. The profit will come when we sell the litters of registered Berkshire hogs we are waiting for our 2 gilts to have. That is when we will see if our local community will support our small farm.

If I can market the hogs profitably, we have a start to a real business. If not, it will be back up and punt. We have invested a lot so far, with a very long list of "needs" yet to go.

Livestock trailer $3900
    lowboy trailer $1900
    All new perimeter fencing $6000
    Implements to make tractor useful $6000

This on top of the close to $6000 we have already put in. Total income so far: $256. There are areas we could have spent less, but not by a whole lot.

We are doing all this to answer a simple question; is this market ready to accept the "natural and local" movement that is happening across America. If we are early, we lose our shirts. If they have been waiting for someone to come along, we should have a decent head start on others. Its just a risk we are willing to take.

I might find myself baking cookies to sell for income shortly. Thank God my wife has an excellent job that makes all this -maybe- possible.

2. palm farmer

palm farmer Well-Known Member

small retail nursery, landscaping and wholesale tree farm palms,bamboo,tropical foliage and flowering exotics, shade trees , sell some show pigs and some not so show , plants, mulch and compost,

Attached Files:

3. tree-farmer

tree-farmer Well-Known Member

We have only been here a year and a bit but we were lucky to have 100 acres of productive hay fields. And the price was good last year, so we did well on it. And we make a bit of money selling eggs and chicks.
    We have a few cattle and sheep, and just got some turkey poults today. We are figuring what works best for us and what direction we want to go in. There's lots of demand around here though. People are pretty eager to get their meat direct from a ranch instead of the grocery store.
    What I do know is I won't be quitting my day job any time soon but at least we're eating well.

palm farmer and Kenny69 like this.
  4. FCLady

FCLady Well-Known Member

I did graphic design for many years. Got tired of the commute and deadlines.
    So I started a weekly newspaper here in a small town.
    We expanded that to a copy shop. We do faxing, copies, small amount of office supplies etc.
    Since we worked from home it was easier to tend to our homestead.

Started with a few chickens. Raised from peeps and sold the extras. Sold the extra eggs. Now we are certified to sell to the local grocery store. 28 doz white eggs and 10 doz brown eggs a week.

Got a few ducks to help start cleaning up pasture. Ended up LOVING duck meat.
    We just raise them for meat. Will sell a few if someone wants a couple.

Then came a few sheep. Didn't go overboard until we got past the learning curve. We just wanted a few for meat for ourselves. This past spring 4 ewes gave us 7 lambs. Three yearlings are headed for the butcherer in a couple of weeks. 7 lambs will give us enough for meat and to sell a couple for a few extra bucks.

Couple of years ago we wanted to move a mess of daffodils from one area to another. I realized just HOW MANY we had, ran an ad on Craigslist. Planted 3 bulbs to a pot and sold them for $1. First year sold 20 pots, next year 30 pots etc.

I usually start my own plants for the garden. This year we planted a few extra herbs and ran an ad in our local paper. Sold off some herb plants and a few extra tomato plants too.

We got the opportunity to buy the property next door. We added an additional 3 acres to our homestead and now rent out the house for some passive income to see us into retirement.

We get to live the lifestyle we love and make a few extra bucks too.

5. Yowsa

Yowsa Guest

We've got a few hundred acres, smaller places in the neighborhood are 35+.

We just live on our place, we don't work it for income.

I have one neighbor who farms, a couple thousand acres. I talked with him a while back, last year was a good year for production, but prices were low.

We love our homestead life, but it's a good thing that we've got income from other places. Anyone around here who "makes money" works long and hard for low wages.

6. Reed77

Reed77 Rookie

Hello, I was wondering if anyone raises craw fish, cat fish 'high fence' deer or anything else other than 'the norm'?

7. Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume Active Member

We do all the usual things, grow chickens, sell eggs, lambs etc. But our big money maker is our tiny (150sqft) gov't inspected poultry abattoir. We operate 5 days a week from april 1st til end of november then open again for the week before xmas. This is what pays our mortgage. During our off season we all have money making hobbies, I make soap and candles, my youngest makes medieval and other time period costumes. Another member of my family is artistic and does wood carvings. That sort of thing. Thankfully none of us have to work off property, but it took us a few years to get to this stage.

8. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

We raise cattle to sell

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

We make stone cabinet knobs, sell eggs & goats - and sell individual stones for the different mystical needs.

phrogpharmer likes this.
  10. phrogpharmer

phrogpharmer Well-Known Member

My wife and I have a very small space available for farming 40' by 100' but with an amazing water resource. We raise Bullfrogs year-round for about 3 dozen universities and medical schools. We've been doing it for 23 years. Each year, our purpose-bred farm-raised Bullfrogs prevent many thousands of wild frogs from being used as lab animals.
    We work about as much as we want and make about as much as we want. The thing that really keeps our farm profitable is the UPS office is only minutes away.

11. LostCaper

LostCaper Member

I cut firewood, help others with their land, tractor services like blowing snow etc... . Have 23 acres and looking at doing some gardens but the wife thinks it is to much work.

My latest income was demolishing a shed. It was crazy how a squirrel made heroic effort which saved her family after her nest was destroyed by the demolition.

12. Kendra Roark

Kendra Roark New Member

Interesting, how did you get started raising Bullfrogs? We're the number of wild frogs in your area being threatened?

13. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

We make pretty good money having the ground in various CRP programs, and also cash renting the tillable land.
    We "save" money by growing a big garden and harvesting, fish, deer and other game and wild edibles to eat off of the property.

14. phrogpharmer

phrogpharmer Well-Known Member

Hey Kendra,
    I've always had an interest in aquatic animals.
    I got burned out being a clerk in an office. We decided to quit our jobs and move so that we could go to school in Aquaculture. I graduated in 1989 and my wife graduated in 1991. We started with 6 Bullfrogs in plastic garbage cans in the living room. After 5 years of work and a lot of failures we were able to raise Bullfrogs as farm animals.
    No, Bullfrogs are not endangered in our area. They were listed as an invasive species and made illegal here in 2012. Fortunately our permit from the State Dept. of Agriculture to raise them dates to 1994, we're grandfathered in.

15. High Stepper Farm

High Stepper Farm Member

Great thread. So far we have sold chicken eggs, hay, pigs, sunflower seeds, and apple chips. My goal is to increase our gross profit every year. Maybe one day when all the infrastructure is in place, we can enjoy a net profit.

16. slingshot

slingshot Well-Known Member

Wow what a difference a few years make!

Haven't been on this forum in a long while, but I got a update today that someone liked my post, when I looked at the date I was shocked 3yrs already.

I'm still doing everything listed above just on a much bigger and more efficient scale, so much so we bought Another farm!

When I first posted this I was just a stay at home dad trying to live healthy and make a little bit of extra cash. Fast forward a few years and those meat chickens I wanted to try turned into a full time pastured poultry business.

No more farmers markets either, that turned into wholesale supply to farm to table restaurants and local grocery stores.

The current evolution is retail sales via online ordering and delivery. Next step is a on farm store.

I am now a full time farmer with a full time income that has exceeded any other job I've ever had.

Our local community supports us and we support them, it can be done. There's a fundamental shift taking place and people want to know where their food comes from, they just need to know your there.

My entire business started with 10 laying hens...... It can be done!

High Stepper Farm, Terri and Clem like this.