How does your garden grow?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamabear, Apr 23, 2005.

1. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Well, my garden is an ever evolving experiment. Just about the time I think I've got everything that I plan on sticking in the ground I come up with something else, but that's where the fun lies.
    As of today, I have the following planted:
    9 White Queen tomato plants
    6 Better Boy tomato plants
    9 cucumbers
    3 types of short-day onions
    9 Rosa Bianca eggplant
    2 Black Beauty eggplant
    9 Tabasco peppers
    2 Chili Pequin peppers
    9 Purple Bell Peppers
    4 Green Bell Peppers
    30 Purple Sicily Cauliflower
    2 rows of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans
    6 rows of Purple Hull peas
    1 row spaghetti squash
    2 rows of Lemon squash
    1 row of Moon & Stars watermelon
    2 rows cantalope
    1 medium plot of Bloody Butcher corn

That is my vegetable garden, as I said, as of today. I also have a flower garden and herb garden. And I was able to build a compost structure this week with pallets that I was able to find.

I love trying new things and I'm always looking for more stuff to try.

What's growing in your garden?

Happy dirty hands! :D

mamabear

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, let's see. I have six 4x16" raised beds. In one I have Argula, English Peas and Bush Bean growing.

In another I have Yellow Squash and Onions. In another is Lima Beans and another has Tomatoes.

Then there's the bed of Irish Potatoes, Broccoli and Zuchinni...well, there's supposed to be Zuchinni, but it hasn't come up (the seeds were three years old).

I haven't planted the last bed yet. It's for my Bell Pepper plants and whatever else I want to plant. I need to get some herbs planted there I think.

I also have a ton of pumpkins up and planted four Red Raspberries this year. I wanted to start a tiered bed of strawberries, but have been unable to locate any strawberry plants. I guess it's to late in the year now.

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, it's cold and rainy here in NY, and I'm happy to say I didn't lose anything to frost. We are supposed to get some snow tonight. I have peas, onions and shallots, lettuce, beets and potatoes planted, but only the luttuce is up.

Inside, I have lots of seedlings. 10 varieties of tomatoes, 4 of eggplant, loads of basil, cabbage, pak choi, cauliflower, and some flowers. I need to wait another 2 weeks before I can start the cukes, melons and squash seeds.

We've had very nice weather the past couple of weeks so the garden is tilled, and I have 5 raised beds filled, and lumber for 6 more. I'm trying my hand at selling produce, eggs and honey this year. Should be a busy and interesting year.

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I have tons of snow peas, a bit of broccoli and some green onions to eat. My bok choi went to seed almost as soon as I planted it? Guess it was too warm, since my friend Sarah's is lovely and she did hers in Janury. Live and learn!

I have bush beans, romano poles, two kinds of squash, lots of lemon cucumbers and a bit of corn coming up, but need to re-do the corn, I have a feeling birds had a party while I was at work! So I started corn, pumpkins, lima beans, sunflowers, lots of peppers, more squash and some pickling cucumbers in the house on Saturday. Crossed fingers, seed starting is not my forte!

Planted 22 tomato plants and two blackberries on Sunday. I'm layering my first blackberry and that is going well. I also have my potato plants grown all the way to the top of the barrels, so just keep mulching. Hope this works, they look very healthy. I also started some on a lasagna bed.

I love to play in the garden!

hollym

5. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

My timing is all backwards so far. My tomatoes survived the hail and frost, but I don't even have my potatoes in yet.

6. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

Ya'll r confusing, lol!

I just got the beds in, so nothing planted. Have peas, spinach, onions, garlic, potatoes and lettuce waiting for the next sunshiny day. Everything else is started and outgrowing the six-packs and 4" pots I have them in... Been itching to put them out - the peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and such - just don't have the cajones to go up against the rest of a Chicago winter just yet! (Last week temps went from 80 to 29 in two days - with attendant rain, sleet, snow)

Its great to see everybody is up and running!!!

Sue

7. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

The weather here has been insane for this part of Texas and this time of the year. All of my tomatoes are in pots. I decided since we were having such wild thunderstorms and wind and cold weather (48 yesterday morning) that I would wait to plant them in the beds. I am really glad I waited as they would have been destroyed by the last storm. My hubby put up a tent arbor for me and my plants are under it. I have gourds (4 different kinds) coming up and cucumbers and squash. I also planted chile pequin and jalapenos and habanero peppers. We almost have the pea patch ready. I am so behind on getting things planted. I will do the best I can this year and be ready for a fall garden if all else fails.
    Happy Gardening All, from the State of crazy weather-Texas

8. C@TFISH

C@TFISH smells like garlic

Very shytally. How the heck do you ppl do this?

9. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Right now we have super sugar snap peas, spinach, onions (white, red, lisbon bunching, and shallots), lettuce, kohlrabi ( 2 kinds), tomatos (better boy, carnival, daybreak, supersonic, and celebrity), tomatillos (toma verde, purple, pueblo verde), peppers (habenero, anaheim, bell, ancho, jalapeno, banana), eggplant (prospero and some other type..rosa I think), and we are starting some squash (zucchini and sunburst), armenian cucumber, green beans, basil, peppermint, and spearmint this afternoon....things are a growin!!

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I gots a sweet tater vine going in the kitchen window. Going to try to get it to Texas with me. Everything else has to wait. Prob will just plan on a fall garden this year.