How does the phone company fix line noise?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nette, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

This is just something I'm curious about. I get line noise sometimes, especially after it rains. It's just annoying when you're trying to talk on the phone, but it makes a computer dial-up connection impossible. So anyway, when this happens, I call Sprint. They come out and fix the problem.

But how, exactly, do they do that so quickly and easily? If moisture in the ground is messing up the underground wiring, what do they do out there at the yellow phone box near the road that can actually fix the noise problem? Just one of those things that make me go "hmmmmm."

2. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Sprint Does That? We Have Sprint And For The Same Problem, When You Call They Give You And Song And Dancer To Do About Unplugging Everything In The House Including The Telephone Wire For 15 Minutes And Then Plug It Back In. They Will Not Take Your Repair Message Until You Tell Them This Has Been Done. 1 Time Out Of 10 They Are Right, It Clears It Up. But The Rest Of The Time- It Is Something They May Do At The Home Office Or Sometimes At The Junction Box Across The Street. Dont Know What It Is.

When My Friends, Who Are On Their Second Honeymoon To Hawaii, Get Back I Will Ask Them. They Were Both Long Time Employees For Sprint, She A Supervisor At The Main Frame.

Hopefully- Someone Here Knows.

Thanks For Asking This Question.

Mom

3. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

OK, heres the scoop on telephone repairs. ( I am a phone man btw).

When u firtst call them with trouble, the will ask you to isolate down to you NID (network interface drop), which is usually a little grey box that you can only get to half of without a special tool. by using a phone on the jack in that box, you are eliminating the possibility that the trouble is in your house.

Next, when it is determined that the problem is the phone company's, they will send a tech out to take a look at the pair of wires coming into your house. they take several readings ( each wire to ground, wire to wire, for resistance and capacitance). based on what they find, they can either repair the faulty section of wire, or they move your phone service to a new cable pair.

In ground cable is a mess everywhere, nobody wants to dump the money into installing new buried cable, when everyone is trying to get fiber optics to the premise (house). The reason your get the problem when it rains is that your cable is basd, and they are looking for replacement pairs when you see them at the box.

If you have any opther questions like this post em, I'll try to answer.

4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

We had intermittent line noise associated with rain that the phone co kept coming out and looking at. One clever repairman sealed off all the cracks in the NID with foam sealant. No more problems.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

For clarification I believe the incoming line has four separate, color-coded lines in it. That gives them something like six combinations to try.

A/B, A/C, A/D, B/C, B/D, C/D

If you have two phone lines, then all four are in use.

Last time I lost the dial tone I was told to do the disconnect routine. As soon as I unplugged the shop phone, dial tone reappeared. Then plugged the shop phone back in with no further problems.

Sometimes static is a loose connection also.

6. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

We had a big problem with line noise and it also made a dial-up internet connection near impossible. We totally replaced all the phone lines inside the house after Verizon refused to come check outside. It didn't help. Verizon finally came out, confirmed that the problem was their "infrastructure", but won't fix the problem because "demand in your area does not currently support those kind of repairs". Apparently because there are only 2 homes in my area, I'm supposed to pay for crappy telephone service and be happy about it. Now we have no landline service (cells only) and love it.

7. Nette

ChickenHound, what do you do for internet now? I would use my cell phone at home if it would work reliably, but even if it did, there's still the issue of affordable internet service.

8. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

SBC just disconnects you. I went 3 weeks without a phone cause they had a sob repairman come out. Never even talked to me just popped out the connection at the end of the road. They do that all the time here.

We have one of those little tools for the gray box. Dropped by a repairman that had to take a really long nap before he could work on the line. He was seen napping by several people, woke with a start when we drove by in the super noisy van.

Our phone service is horribly lousy!

9. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

We have RF Wireless. It's similar to satellite, but the "dish" on the roof is more like a 2x3' rectangle solar panel looking thing, and it sends/receives signal from a radio tower about 10 miles away instead of a satellite. It's thru a local private company. It's $39.99/month, unlimited downloading, and we get at least DSL speeds. It's becomming more & more popular in rural areas; try googling it in your area.

10. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Phone lines are run using pairs of wire. Each cable can have upwards of 100+ pairs of wire. They simply go to the central office and punch your line onto a new pair of wires. Problem comes when they have filled existing known good pairs of wire.

11. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Also, you may try changing the filter on your line. My in house wiring for DSL has a filter (small grey box like thing) connected to the phone wiring. It filters out noise and static, when it goes bad, I cannot get phone service or DSL. I don't know if your line has something like this, but if it does, check the filter. The filter will unplug from the phone line and you just plug a new one in.

Sidepasser

12. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

OK, I meant to say the phone line coming into your house would normally have four wires in it.

13. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I don't know how long the run is between your house and the road, but get yourself some cat 5 network cable with underground rating and replace it from the box to the house.

Usually the infastructure at the road is pretty good, it's the stuff on private property that gets crappy.

Pete

14. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

We live in a mobile home. Our little box is on some metal thing drove in the ground. Use to be ,never could get on connect when it rained. Had phone company out couple times month. Finally ,I keep a plastic bag over this. The winds blow up threw it. Have no problem now!!

15. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

We had that problem several years ago,the phone co came up and drained the water out of the lines down on the hiway.Since then they have buried the line up the hollar no problems so far.

16. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

When dealing with the phone companies it is the old squeaky wheel gets the grease story... I have worked field service for a couple of modem manufactures from 1971 up.... as well as sold and serviced a lot of data-communications equipment as well as Telco test equipment over the years. I have done a whole lot of battles with phone companies over whose problem it was...

For dial up stuff the people that take the original service call are usually morons... They read to you from a script..
    The techs are way better... it helps if can speak their language but get them on your side...

You always should isolate the problem to be on their side of the NID...
    I have a few butt sets... But those who don't should try a known good working phone or more than one phone and line cord to plug into the NID...
    Quite often the noise will be intermittent and they will not see it... Don't be afraid to ask them for another pair...

Treat the techs well and they can really be helpful... I always chat with them when they are here...
    One of the last guys out here left me a couple hundred feet of 6 pair direct burial wire for me to hook up the home shop with...
    A few years back there was a tech who gave me his pager number so if I had problems so he could put it on his schedule and used to stop by when I had my shop in town just to chat... Unfortunately he relocated....

17. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Ok, Electronrider. Here goes! About four months ago I started having problems with dialup internet access. I had to try several times before getting a connection. Even then I was often disconnected. To make a long story short, after arguing with folks (in India and the Phillippines) that constituted customer service for my ISP, I found out service below 22k was not supported by my ISP.

Working through a local ISP that did offer the ability to connect at lower line speeds, I was able to reprogram an eight year old U.S. Robotics Courier modem (still supported by the manufacturer by the way ) to connect at 4800 baud and if I was lucky 9600 baud. Along the way I saw the original internal Motorola modem in a W98 box think it was connected to a digital line at the beginning of the troubles. The Courier never had that problem. I was able to confirm with U. S. Robotics that the Courier was in perfect working condition. I also used a new phone line to bypass the house wiring to go directly to the NID.

I also setup a new (old but unused non-Intel based workstation running NT) to see if the computer was the problem. It didn't make a difference which computer I used, same problem. Verizon has tested line noise and found no problems. The dB numbers are good. I'm too far from the CO for DSL but in the case the DSL signal was getting through the SLC, I installed a DSL filter, no effect.

I've been battling with Verizon for at least three years through the PSC. Each time up I take the opportunity to glean more info. The latest is I have drawings showing all the cable runs and equipment and their ages between my NID and the CO. Some of the cable is forty years old. Verizon was forced to replace 6,500' of buried cable with another 6,500' planned.

Still, I have no idea why I can't connect to the internet. Typically if the call goes through something happens with the carrier and the modem sees a hangup.

Any ideas?????????????????????????????????????

18. Nette

Ok, Electronrider, here's another one for you. Sprint came out yesterday and found the problem causing the line noise.

We have an on-premises extension at the dairy barn. The repairman left a note on the door saying there was a problem with that phone or the cable going to that phone, so he disconected it at the NID for the barn. The phone is in the tank room where there's a lot of water being sprayed around when washing up, not to mention a lot of condensation. I've tried various ways to keep the jack and phone from getting wet, but obviously those attempts haven't worked. So here's a question from a dummy: Can't I run some water-proof cable from the outside jack at the NID to another dryer (though louder) room in the milk barn? We should have had Sprint put the jack in that room in the beginning, but DH said that our employees wouldn't be able to hear it in there. I think the more important thing is for them to be able to CALL US when there's a problem, not so much for them to hear incoming calls.

19. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

Nette,

Look to get a seperate ringer, horn or flashing light (the kind they use to signal a phone call in a factory) for the milk barn. That way the employees will know a call is incomming and you'll have the phone in a dry place.

My dad was a telephone lineman, installer and repairman. For a prank, he and his buddies installed a factory klaxon horn under another guys bed while he was away on his honeymoon. Then they called the newlyweds in the middle of the night. :eek: :clap:

Share the Love,

Diamondtim

20. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

We too live in the country, and have problems with the lines in wet weather. Three times I have been told it is because the telephone is bad (in either our workshop or hog shed which is empty) and we have replaced them three times. The last time the tech told us to spray a little WD40 on the plug, and plug recepticle to keep any moisture from bothering the lines. So far no more problems.