How does someone act coming off Paxil abruptly?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cyngbaeld, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

One of my neighbors stopped taking her Paxil, said she didn't need it. Now it looks like she is in a psychotic episode or something. Can't find any literature on it. Any of you have experience with this sort of thing? Kind of worried about her.

2. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Paxil has been known to cause major problems like this. Its a very dangerous druga nd should be pulled from the market.

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Does she live alone? Does she have family you can speak to? Can you find out her doctor's name?

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

if she is psychotic she is probably supposed to be taking other drugs, either instead of, or with, the paxil. it's unlikely that withdrawal from paxil would push her over the edge, so to speak. the worst i can think of is that her depression would return. is it possible she has stopped her anti-psychotic meds? that is fairly common with peole with mental illnesses- one of the biggest challenges is for them to keep takiing their meds.

does she have any family you can call? try to keep an eye on her if you can. if she appears to be a danger to herself or to others, call 911. unfortunately, until she is a danger, there is not much anyone can do to help her.

5. Cyngbaeld

She lives alone, but has a son in Austin. They have a very common last name, he recently moved and I don't have contact info.

6. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Argh. I don't suppose she works. Even if she did, it would probably be iffy to call her job.

7. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm sorry I have no direct answers for you but hopefully BobK will drop by and offer his insight, since this is a topic that he has experience in. You might want to try sending him a pm and see if he has any insight.

8. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Is she in good enough contact that you can encourage her to see her doctor? You could tell her that quitting Paxil abruptly can be harmful?

9. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Paxil, like other inhibitors, don't immediately come out of the system. It takes about a week for it to finally leach out. Takes about a week to get into it too, btw. All of them are known to cause psychosis and homicidal rages. It's in the very fine print on the side effect sheet... However, if she's been off of it for more than 4 days and this is what is happening then she's got more problems than depression. She may be one of the small percentage of people, like me, that just can't take that type of drug.

10. Cyngbaeld

I think it was about a week before I noticed a change. Don't know what else she is on. She volunteered the info about not taking the Paxil. If I can, I'll talk to her. She won't answer the phone right now. At least she was supposed to go to her daughter for Thanksgiving and if she doesn't show they will find out why.

I was just wondering if this was fairly common with the drug since it wasn't something in use when I stopped working as an RN.

I think most of this stuff is overprescribed and wonder about how effective it is anyhow. Glad I'm not taking it!

11. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, she might be having problems with withdrawls. She needed to go off Paxil and any SSRI slowly, taking less and less for about 4-6 weeks until she is down to taking nothing. Do you know why she was taking it? Depression, anxiety, OCD?

She honeslty might need to go to the emergency room. If she can wait she can go in to her doctor tomorrow. If she won't go I'm not sure what to say. Didn't she know she wasn't suppose to just stop taking the Paxil?

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I have a good friend on Paxil. If he forgets more than three in a week, he gets rages and anxiety. BIG rages and MAJOR anxiety.

13. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

John used to take Paxil. He said that when he was "coming down off of it" he felt emotions again, and very intensly. Like while on Paxil he could not cry at all, but when he was not taking it he would cry a LOT. He would also get pretty angry and had a hair trigger at that. He also felt little bursts of ....mmm not sure how to explain it. It is kind of like every thing is "off" by just a bit and almost like there was a pressure in him. Kind of like feeling like you are falling down stairs as you are going to sleep. This happens in short little bursts. He thought he was the only one that ever did this until he asked a councelor and she herself had been on Paxil and it happend to her as well as a couple of her clients. HTH
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

14. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're supposed to wean of Paxil, not stop cold turkey. That is what your neighbor's problem is. Get her some help, she might be suicidal. This drug has BAD side effects when stopped abruptly. Wonder why she didn't know this.

15. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Paxil is NOT a drug to stop cold turkey. Her physical and mental health are at risk. If you cannot convince her to go to the MD or ED, call the police or mental health resource in your area and ask for their help in having her evaluated for an ITA (Involuntary Treatment Act). This is a way of getting help for a person who may cause harm to themselves, others, or property, and/or is unable to care for themselves. She will be evaluated by a mental health professional to determine if she needs care and if she qualifies, she can be placed in a hospital for up to 72 hours for medical care. She will not be charged for the care, if that is her concern, as long as she is ITA'd and not admitted voluntarily. She can be released at any time during that 72 hr time if it is determined that she is no longer in danger/a danger. If she is not released in the 72 hrs, she will have a hearing with a judge in the hospital setting, with counsel provided for her. It's obvious you care what happens to her. Doing this for her may seem harsh, but stopping Paxil without step-down weaning is SERIOUS, and she may well need medical intervention. Let us know what happens.

16. magnolia2017

magnolia2017 Well-Known Member

I stopped taking it cold turkey after I realized that I was in a stupor most of the time while taking it. I was extremely hyper for a few weeks but gradually became my normal self. My doctor kind of forced the drug on me after my first husband died within a few days of being diagnosed with cancer. She said it would make it easier to cope. It did make it easier as I always seemed a step away from reality.

OTOH if your neighbor has a serious mental illness, I wouldn't recommend stopping cold turkey. My former MIL is bi-polar and manic depressive and occassionally decides she doesn't need her meds. Once she decided to catch up on her medicine after a few days and landed in an IC unit for nearly a month on life support.

You might want to check in on her just to see how she is doing.

Maggie

17. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Paxil is a drug called an SSRI. This is the same class as Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, and a few others. They are not habit forming and were a great discovery from the standpoint of a doctor since they are so much safer than the previous drugs. Paxil has a very short half life so it is out of the system quickly. If a person misses their dose the have a minor withdrawal a day or so. The withdrawal is usually an exacerbation of the problem the patient started with before taking the drug. The reaction is usually very anxious.
    The solution is to take the drug as the doctor said. If you decide you know more than the doctor and don't follow directions, it is a risk. Paxil XR is a non generic longer acting form of the drug that is less likely to cause withdrawal. I you the generic and tell them to take it as directed .Generic is about 1/2 the price.