how do yu organize your upright freezer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

Husband bought an upright freezer the other day. I look at the shelves and I am wondering... are there some boxes or something available for freezers? with these shelves it must be a pain in the kazoo to keep order, keep things from falling out and finding stuff, esp. in the back. I sure wish they would make drawers in freezers that you can pull out so you can see what is in the back and where you can write on the front what is inside. But, alas, no such thing, so what do you all do to make this easier?

2. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

I freeze things in transparent bags so I can see what is in them as well as writing the contents and date on them. I put big things like turkeys and whole chickens in the bottom and organize the rest by veggies on one or 2 shelves, meats on another grouped togetherby kind (pork, beef, bacon etc), juices, coffee nuts, etc go on the little shelves in the door.

I usually don't have trouble finding anything cuz I know where everything is. Any problems I have locating things is when DH or DC put things away and monkey with the system. LOL

~Berta

Berta

3. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

My upright has a drawer on the bottom. I organize mine by meat type.. so all the chicken goes in the bottom drawer, beef on one shelf (got a big load of 99c/lb 7 bone chuck roast today!!! :dance: ), pork on one shelf, etc. Then I have an extra shelf that is used for smaller misc items like bacon, etc. Since these are smaller items I have this one on the top so I can easily see what I'm looking for. We keep frozen veggies in the freezer attached to the fridge, so it's not in the upright.

I *try* to remember to put newer produce on the bottom of the pile. :eek:

4. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

We bought a couple of cheap plastic crates that fold down when empty to store all those odd shaped packages. Everything else we stack. We then put a dry erase white board on the front and write down everything we put in and erase everything we take out. Works great until you get 200lbs of beef and you run out of room on the whiteboard ;)

5. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

The one thing I'd say was important is that you store your meats on the bottom shelves and everything else over them. That way, if your freezer should accidentally defrost for some reason, the meat juices will not drip over everything else.

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Cheap plastic crates are a real time saver. We keep an empty by the freezer and use them like drawers to organize what's in the freezer. When the refrig freezer runs low one crate restocks it. That way we're not opening and closing the big freezer any more often than we need to. And since we don't "revisit" the freezer too often the crates mean we don't have to remember if there is broccolli under the green beans or not.

7. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

I have numerous small plastic tubs 20 x 9 x 10 that hold the bags of food and fit very nicely into the freezer. On some shelves I can stack two on top of each other. I have used old canning jar boxes in the past that work pretty good. I have even used short tray type boxes on top of the plastic tubs when I need every inch of freezer space.

8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

What I did was use some discarded wire racks that came from a potato chip display-----these racks were about as wide as the shelves in my upright freezer, but these racks were bent with in a L shape--------I took everything out the freezer and placed these racks on top of each shelf with the short part turned up(but it was several inches tall)---this keeps the food from dumping out. You could make some using heavy hardware cloth or something similiar or use your own idea's. Worked good for me!! Randy