How do YOU worm?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

After all of the discussions about worming, what "really" works?

I know it should be modified for different areas. But how?

My vet only does fecals for pets (dogs & cats) so I don't really think they would be a help.

My worming schedule is as such: 3cc ivermection 10 days apart (2 doses). This was per advice from goat911 phone call. Is this all I need? (my goats are pygmy & cashmere & those 2 breeds crossed, not BIG goats)

Also I haven't wormed my kids (they're 4.5 months old) Can they be wormed with this? They are still with mama, & almost weaned.

I really only worm 2 times a year. Maybe 3 if they start to look rough.

If it helps I'm in north western Pennsylvania, & it's been really, really hot & humid allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll summer!! :grump: Think 80-90 temps with humidity in the 70-80!! :stars:

Thanks

Tricia

2. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

i have boer, i use positive pellet dewormer 1 time a month use 1 lb. per 100 lb. body weight.the breeder i purchased from swears by it, all his stuff is beautiful so thats what i will continue to use.

3. jvjfarm

jvjfarm Glad to Be Here!

Hi,

In the past I've used ivermectin paste @2-3x body weight. I rotate with Safeguard and Valbazen. This year I was seeing some resistance, so I use Cydectin orally 1cc/22 lbs (cattle dose) - it's worked Very well...only gave it to does after kidding though.

I also feed Diatomaceous earth top dressed on feed.

Fecals are a good idea...if you can find a different vet, or learn to do them yourself! IT's not that hard, and you'll be able to keep a good eye on whats happening in your herd.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Safegaurd and positive pellet are the only two wormers tested/approved for goats. I have used an equine dewormer that works well also but don't know name off top of my head.
    I have bought a special surringe with an angle that gets the wormer into their throats better because a couple of my does would end up spitting half of it back up.
    Safegaurd rep at a goat show said you need to double the amount given on the directions.
    They have a great eye chart out now that tells you if your goats have worms or not so your not giving doses when not needed and causing immunity to the parasites. Its called FAMACHA I think. Runa google search for it, it is very highly recommended by me and the people at Safegaurd.
    Its critical to worm in late spring just before parasites are at their highest risk.
    Make sure feeders cannot get goat droppings into them. Its better to have goats on a concrete slab if you don't have proper pasture for them because its the shortness of the grass where the parasites live (3 in or below) and they are only killed by ultra violet rays.
    Hope this isn't too much information.