How do you water your garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by InHisName, May 5, 2006.

1. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

Putting in a new garden and need a new (old) idea. Have been using soaker hoses- they are not even in a bed- so need something else. What is effective for you? Thanks!

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

For beds, impact sprinklers on towers. Heavily mulched paths and mulch in the beds whenever possible.

Our soaker hoses are hooked to a manifold at the feeder end, with a shut-off on each. With the right amount of hoses on we can compensate for fluctuating pressure. And we mulch these, too.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have to say frequently! This spring has been so dry. We use soaker hoses in the raised beds and usually leave the field beds to fend for themselves. Not this year, I had to water one of the potato beds today, took me about an hour but it was a good opportunity to inspect each plant for colorado potato beetles (found one, no eggs).

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I mulch as much as I can, but I'm on the sand ridge and we're in a drought so lately I'm watering a lot. I use a three and a half foot wand with a water breaker for most things as it lets me put the water where I want it without splashing the leaves.

At the moment I've got five rows of peas and beans and a sweet potato patch that I'm using an oscillating sprinkler with as it can cover the whole thing in one pass and they need watering frequently until they're better established.

.....Alan.

5. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I know it's just sick, but I collect rain water in a big trash can and then water by hand with a watering can. I put some compost and chicken poo in the trash can and stir it up every few days. For some reason, it's very satisfying to spend a little time with all of my plants as I water them. I also like the hand watering because then I'm not watering any weeds that way.

6. boolandk

boolandk Well-Known Member

I got tired of always asking someone to help me move the hose around the garden to water it so DH & I came up with a better garden design. We dug a trench from the house to the center of the garden. We glued together PVC pipe after threading a hose through it and placed it in the trench. Then we put a post in the center of the garden, ran the hose up the post and attached a circular sprinkler to the top of the post. Turned the water on and noted how far it sprayed and that is now the size of our circle garden - 80 foot diameter. Works like a charm. I plant the garden in quadrants and I can adjust the sprinkler to only water the part I want it to.

7. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

Great idea Boolandk! We are in the process of fencing off an acre, it has a frost free pump right in the middle. I think I can work several of these ideas into the plan. What about trees? Fruit trees are going in to the East quarter-
    Mamabooh, I did that same thing today, but with rabbit manure, today on my garlic. They love it! - Appreciate the ideas, folks!

8. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

we use a combination of drip tape and drip emitters.....set up this way we can water the entire garden at once or split it into segments that need it more frequently than others...we water 14 16x3 ft raised beds and a 40x20 section of ground dedicated to tomatos and tomatillos...

9. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Soaker hoses under the mulch in the raised beds. Drip irrigation on other plants using 1/2" feeder main line and 1/4" drops to individual plants. Everything is hooked to an electric timer that is adjustable to use different lengths, minutes hours, and can be set to water daily, every other day, etc. I have the soakers hooked to the timer too. Went on vacation for 2 weeks last year and came back to happy healthy plants and we were in a drought. :cowboy:
    PS - Got most all my hoses and fittings from www.dripworks.com and the timer at Wal-Mart.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

we just water with a hose by hand

11. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Since I am very frugal with water, I water each bed by hand. I can't stand to see it wasted on the paths!

I also mulch religiously. Holds in the moisture and saves water.

Pony!

12. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

Here I irrigate. I turn on a valve and water in pipe to garden and then open the gates to rows I want to water. Have to have a ditch by each row for the water to run. I own shares in the irrigation company and then pay a fee each year for water. This year $250 for the water from April to Oct.

13. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

here's a blurb on the drip tape we use...it runs at about 1/2 gpm when working right.

14. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

What I plan on doing (hopefully the 'pod covers' I discussed in a thread I created will adequatel protect seedlings) is running a water hose out to the garden, connecting it to two sprinklers sitting atop tall, round fence posts, and just watering the heck out of the garden. I know it's wasting water in the walkways, but i would trade that for the experience I had last year with spindly plants.