Homesteading Forum banner

How Do you Use Your Cell Phone?

1K views 32 replies 30 participants last post by  heather 
#1 ·
This is just a fun little thread, but I'm curious how people use their cells phone for more than just calling people. I use the calendar mode to mark full moons for worming my goats and when to put minerals in their grain. I use the alarm clock to wake me up (great if the power is out) and if I'm in a dark area, I open it up and use it as a flash light. I used to think they were just a luxury.

#2 ·
Alarm
phone book
timer
clock

I never have pen and paper when I am out and about so I store info as a memo in the "reminder area" it has to be short but emails and web sites work

Oh I have to have a password that changes ever so often I hate passwords that have to change so now i void the old password by editing a phone number stored as "ds school" by just "editing" it is easy to keep it current and anyone who find it can't use it.

I once used the screen lite as a light source when I was lacking a flash light. and I dropped my keys. nice to know I am not alone.

I use the net ten so it has no features to speak of but the reason to get it was as a phone for emergencys.

#3 ·
It's funny... I use my cel phone extensively; it's my main telephone. It's been this way for almost five years, in which time I've had three phones (all of which has bunches of features). Yet this is the first phone I've used any of the features on, outside of the address book. DH showed me how to use the calculator. And that's it for me ;)

#5 ·
I use mine as an alarm clock a lot! :)

Phone book
Calculator

Texting. I love texting. :D DH's phone has a slide out keyboard for it, and I'm soooo tempted to get the same one! Too cheap to do it, though!

We don't have internet or any of the fancy stuff - don't really want it. Lots of the kids have TV on their phones at work - I'm still grasping how they drive, look at their GPS units, listen to the iPod, *and* watch TV at the same time! :cool:

#7 ·
I've used only cell phone for about 8-10 years. With landline I had people missing me and such, so this is better. Also, since family lives all over USA, I have a plan where all minutes from anywhere to anywhere are the same cost.

Recently I've started checking on HT and a few other sites via the web feature of it. And what's surprising is that I can read it, very clear.

I use an old cell phone as my alarm clock at home.
Once in a while I answer .txt messages.

answering machine for people leaving messages,

etc.

Angie

#9 ·
I have a cell phone... and a separate PDA, iPod, and GPS. In my experience, anything that does everything tends not to do all of it very well... which is why I'm not switching to a Blackberry anytime soon, or otherwise expect my phone to double as my calendar/jukebox/navigator/alarm clock/etc.

My PDA (a Palm T/X) is perfect for my calendar and address-book needs, since I see clients for work and am in and out of the office all the time for meetings and appointments. It also has built-in WiFi, which I can use if I happen to be in a hotspot, although I rarely use this feature. The iPod handles the music, and I have a Magellan GPS that I keep in my car for emergencies.

My phone is for calling and texting-- I probably text more than I call. I also occasionally use it for picture-taking if my camera isn't handy. It CAN do all that traffic/directions/MP3-player stuff, but I bristle at the thought of One Gadget To Rule Them All... I much prefer having specialized devices that do their specific jobs well.

#10 ·
My no longer have any service on my cell phone, but I still use it as an alarm clock and occasional flashlight LOL Oh yeah, it makes a neat nightlight for the kids while it's on the charger, too. My daughter has a pay as you go phone and she bought a fancy enough model that she uses it as an MP3 player, alarm clock, calculator, digital camera and she texts ALOT. She got the Verizon Blitz with a slide out QWERTY keyboard and it's pretty neat:)

#17 ·
We don't have a land line.

I use it to see what the stock market is doing (I'm not in it, just interested in the economy tanking) Also the news.

I watch tv on it to catch up on shows I miss as I work in the evenings a lot (Desperate Housewives, Lost, and 2 and a half men.)

I do these things more than I talk on the phone.

#18 ·
We don't have a land line.

I use it to see what the stock market is doing (I'm not in it, just interested in the economy tanking) Also the news.

I watch tv on it to catch up on shows I miss as I work in the evenings a lot (Desperate Housewives, Lost, and 2 and a half men.)

I do these things more than I talk on the phone.
What phone do you have so you can watch TV? Just curious...

Angie

#19 ·
I have a cell phone... and a separate PDA, iPod, and GPS. In my experience, anything that does everything tends not to do all of it very well... which is why I'm not switching to a Blackberry anytime soon, or otherwise expect my phone to double as my calendar/jukebox/navigator/alarm clock/etc.

My PDA (a Palm T/X) is perfect for my calendar and address-book needs, since I see clients for work and am in and out of the office all the time for meetings and appointments. It also has built-in WiFi, which I can use if I happen to be in a hotspot, although I rarely use this feature. The iPod handles the music, and I have a Magellan GPS that I keep in my car for emergencies.

My phone is for calling and texting-- I probably text more than I call. I also occasionally use it for picture-taking if my camera isn't handy. It CAN do all that traffic/directions/MP3-player stuff, but I bristle at the thought of One Gadget To Rule Them All... I much prefer having specialized devices that do their specific jobs well.
I take care of the cell account at work and most of our cell phones are Smartphones - cell phone, pda, internet device all in one. We use Windows Mobile Smartphones, mostly the Motorola Q. There might be some haggling about which Smartphone folks like best, but I don't have one person that wishes they still carried multiple devices. The company executives, sales staff, IT staff and quality control staff all have Smartphones.

Smartphones wirelessly sync with Outlook (email, calendars and contacts) so you don't have to maintain a phone list on a different device, don't get surprised by client meetings being rescheduled and you can keep in touch while traveling. Smartphones have cameras and photos can stored or sent anywhere as email attachments using the Internet service. Some users have the Navigator service on their Smartphones so they can get directions while traveling, etc. Most of our Smartphones also have the service which allows the phone to be used as a wireless modem for a computer so that staff can access the Internet anywhere they are (ex. A sales person needs a product spec sheet for a client. They can get on the Internet, log into our network and pull those specs right away- no need to wait until they get back to the office).

Smartphones are a great business tool for the departments that use them and they have proven to be well worth the cost.

As for me, I don't do sales or provide 24x7 support for the network, so I have a plain cell phone :) which is not company provided.

deb
in wi

Smartphones are an important tool for

#23 ·
Just about everything, except surfing the net or watching tv, 'though I could do both on it if I wanted to. The screen just isn't big enough for surfing or tv, IMHO.

I have a Palm Centro smartphone. Besides phone calls, I use it for text messages and for sending picture mail when I've taken a pic with the camera. Also as a video recorder for short clips, mainly of the dogs or friends. I sync the calender with Outlook on my laptop and the calendar on my pda (Palm T/X). I use mainly Agendus Pro for my calendar on my cell phone so it will alert me when I have a meeting or appointment or a task is due. I also have Quickmemos on my cell, so I can keep short memos of things to buy and set an alert to remind me. I use the alarm clock feature if I'm camping or traveling.

I have Docs to Go on it (Word, Excel, pdf reader, etc.), so I can keep a copy of my blood pressure and migraine diaries with me at all times. I also keep copies of lists of needlework supplies in Word or Excel format so I can keep track of what I have in my stash and what I need to buy. For example, I have lists of DMC threads and can mark which ones I have and how many. Same thing with fabrics and other brands of embroidery threads.

Like Cnvh, I still keep my pda and carry it with me most of the time as my Centro doesn't have wifi and the T/x does. Since the T/X has a much bigger screen, I prefer to use it to surf the web and read documents. Since both the Centro and my T/X have Bluetooth, I can move docs easily between the two.

I prefer my iPod for music and movies, but I do have some of my favorite songs on the Centro.

#25 ·
I mostly use mine for backup internet. Its not fast internet and usually little slower than the dialup connection using landline. However after nearly every serious rain anymore, the phone companies line goes down for half day so I can use the cell. Price not bad, unlimited internet data connection for flat 35cents a day. If it were faster, I would ditch the landline altogether since I make few phone calls. 10cents a minute for voice calls but short of hanging upside down in a tree its not that easy to get good connection on my property. For the computer I can hang it certain way in window and use a usb extension cord and get ok connection but very awkward to hold it just right to make phone call since I have to have my ear close to phone to hear anything.

Still its handy to have it on hiway or going to town just in case I break down. Usually good reception along hiway and in town without special positioning.

#26 ·
I use mine since pay phones went away, for office/patients/their families/doctors, I check the date frequently , I use the calendar, when I forget my wrist watch I use the stopwatch feature for vital signs, I use the time zones feature ever since woke up a family member in California at 330 am, and I use the camera. I use the camera a lot. Every few weeks I have to delete about 200 pictures of the insides of my pocket.
edited to add-I thought everone used their cell phone as a flashlight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.