Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our beloved 5 year old English Mastiff is 230 lbs. He was a throwaway that we adopted 2 years ago and he's had rear leg problems (limping, weakness) off and on as long as we've had him. His previous owners did the basic vet things but we were unable to get any history or pedigree. Our vet has indicated his hips look good but the weakness remains. He's non ambulatory again right now. I'm hoping I can convince my vet to come here - that's not a common practice where I live. In the event that I can't, my boy will need to be moved from our room, down the stairs and hoisted into my car. He's uncooperative to say the least. And mighty heavy. I know many of you have large dogs. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Use a sling for his rear end. You can make one out of a towel by tying a bath towel around his belly. Once his rear is lifted enough to take pressure off, he should have enough strength to help you. You may need assistance down the stairs.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Use a sling for his rear end. You can make one out of a towel by tying a bath towel around his belly. Once his rear is lifted enough to take pressure off, he should have enough strength to help you. You may need assistance down the stairs.
That's the same advice we were given from our vet when Rupert, our basset, had to have surgery for luxated patellas. Obviously, he's not as big as your fella, but the concept should still work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. We'll certainly give it a shot. It's very scary because he seems to have given up this time. I'm afraid of what might be next for my boy. I greatly appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The sling suggestions are good. We also layed our Spanish Mastiff on a sheet to create a stretcher when we needed to lift her into the van since she was unable to help get herself up.
If it is not his hips, than what does your vet say the problem is?? Arthritis, something causing pressure on the spine? ACL? Have you had x-rays done?
Mastiff's tend to be rather stoic, so if he's not getting up, he's in pain.
I would also recommend that you limit where he goes in your house for his own ease. No more going up the stairs to your bedroom.
Good luck.
Lois

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
We put our 135 pound Rottweiler in the kids Raido Flyer wagon and brought her through the house and into the vet...
Otherwise we used a sheet to help hoist her up or pull her.

·
Registered
721 Posts
When my greyhound Mimi had a PCE, spinal stroke, she was paralized on one side and could not use either leg on that side. We got a front sling from the vet and used a towel for her hips. This allowed us to help her stand to do her business until she regained some mobility. If your fellow can help you by moving some the support of one or two slings maybe enough to get him to the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses. This good dog has made some progress and, with the help of your suggested sling, is going out with us when he needs to. He's very rear end weak and will collapse if we don't watch him. We have a tiny, one floor home so he hasn't got too far to wander but right now he chooses not to. I've made him a comfortable spot next to my bed and he's sleeping there now.
Our vet feels the underlying problem is arthritis. He's been xrayed so no previous abnormalities but I don't know if he injured anything when he collapsed Saturday. Our vets office is closed until next Saturday. No one else does house calls. I'm actually surprised ours does. A couple local vets have refused to treat him because of his size.
This is a gentle beast, a real baby. Nothing stoic about him. But I don't question he's in pain and that this problem is getting worse, whatever it is. As I wait for my vet's much overdue vacation to end I'm watching Tok hour by hour. If he deteriorates further or seems to be in more pain I'll get him in a car if I need a crane and off to the emergency clinic (1 1/2 hours away) I go. Thank you all again.

·
Seriously?
1,171 Posts
Knowing the breed and size well ( I used to show , train, and breed English Mastiffs) I would lay a blind wager that you've got a blown anterior cruciate ligament ,ACL, as mentioned above(if not two of them, rare but possible). If the hips are sound this would be my next guess as to your problem. it is painful, have your sweet boy checked out asap please.

I.S.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, Immaculate Sublimity. He's set for x rays tomorrow. I'm familiar w/ACL repair - we had it done for our rottweiler. Recovery was no picnic and she was half Tok's size. Please tell me, what was your experience w/this procedure and your dogs?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thank you, Immaculate Sublimity. He's set for x rays tomorrow. I'm familiar w/ACL repair - we had it done for our rottweiler. Recovery was no picnic and she was half Tok's size. Please tell me, what was your experience w/this procedure and your dogs?
My Spanish Mastiff had this surgery and recovered in an amazingly short amount of time. She was mobile again within a week (walking without a sling) and within 3 months, you could hardly tell she had had the surgery. My vet had warned of a possible 6 month recovery time before she was fully mobile again.
Because of her size and bone mass (she was a very big girl!), he had to modify his normal ACL repair and the surgery itself took twice what he had originally anticipated.
The Spanish Mastiff is much more flexible/moveable dog than the English Mastiff tends to be, so that may be one of the reasons that she regained her mobility as quickly as she did.
Good luck
Lois

1 - 11 of 11 Posts