How do you tell if she's pregnant?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by backwoods, Sep 17, 2005.

1. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    We got a Jersey cow back in April that we were told was bred, but the owner couldn't remember when (he has LOTs of cows). He said he thought she would freshen around Sept.
    She does look like she's larger, but no sign of bagging up at all, and she really doesn't look round enough to be "that" pregnant. This will be her 3rd freshening, and she is supposedly a really good producer. Does anyone have any tips on how to tell IF she's pregnant for sure, and not just getting fatter on all this clover and grass? She hasn't shown any signs of coming in heat, & we have neighbors with bulls that have always come "visiting" anytime we've EVER had a cow on the place that was in heat. Any help would be appreciated!

2. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Generally the older the cow the less she will show a pregnancy, but this far along you should be able to feel the calf by palpating her lower right side and you also see it occasionally kicking around. Some cows don't bag up much before the actual calving event. You could have a vet do an internal exam to see if she's pregnant and if so give you an estimate of how far along she is. The previous owner could be a few months off on her due date- on another board someone bought their first cow who was supposedly due in early summer and only just calved at the end of August.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I really don't know what to tell ya, with my granparents cows I have always eye-balled 'em, and have not been wronge yet, even when they had a too-young cow give birth, I told them she was pregnant they said no and 1 week latter she had a little heifer. I do agree with seeing if the baby is kicking, makes sense to me.

4. Philip

Philip Philip

Backwood, I think your initial observation is the right one. If she hasn't come back into season and shows no signs of bulling then she is in-calf. Size can be difficult (I have some Jerseys the size of balloons, others the exact opposite) Just remember to watch you don't overfeed in the last 6-8 weeks of pregnancy, otherwise you might have to haul an oversize (and possibly dead) calf out of her - never a pleasant thing to do (which is one of several reasons why we AI our Jerseys with Lowline semen)

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Jerseys are prone to milk fever too so you might want to get some of that Rejuvenate stuff to have on hand. Do a search on this board and you can find the supplier or you might ask the farmer you bought her from. He might have a source.....

Also, no alfalfa. It has too much calcium, so our vet told us, and it will bring on milk fever.