Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far since I got Sally she has been a pretty good cat. But the litter box really stinks. Its in the utility room off the kitchen. She is an indoor cat.
I installed one of those swinging kitty doors on the door between the kitchen and the utility room to block the smell and also because in the winter that room has a bad draft. It has a small magnet to keep it closed , all she has to do is push the thing with a little force and it should swing open. She hasnt figured this out yet.
So far what I have already done...
Keep it propped it all the way open so she knows that she can go thru this new hole in the door just for her. It took a while but she now has mastered this. She is pretty skittish.
On to step 2..getting her to push the door open herself...I have shoved her thru a couple times and left her in there to see if she can get back out. But she dosent seem to get that she can bump it open herself.
She is my only cat so there are no others to show her how to do this magic trick. Does any body have any other ideas that I can try that might help her learn?

~~Sumer

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Put her in the utility room and close the door and prop the swing door open a couple of inches into the kitchen and leave her there. She can see out and she will realise she pass threw.

She will want to come to you in the kitchen and she will try after a while.

bumpus

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I just shove them through a few times and it's always worked. Have a barn cat who figured out how to pry it open with his claws when I had it locked so they could go out, but not come in (mine is in the door to the garage). LOL...Charlie lifts it up and then slips through. Silly cat!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I agree with propping it open just a couple of inches so she will push her nose through. Once she's gone through a couple of times and has some confidence, prop it open only an inch. Once she's confident with that, follow Debra's advice, putting something very tasty on the other side. Right now she thinks it is made of steel reinforced concrete that only a bulldozer can move.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
I took that door off completely and I cut a piece of carpet runner, (which you can get very cheaply at Home Depot) I put it there instead and they never had issues going in and out. I have also used two wood 5x7 photo frames with the carpet runner to make inexpensive cat doors. They looked nice against our wood doors cost me less than $3 to make.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok you guys have to picture this LOL. I got home and read the suggestions. Good ones by the way. So I took a pencil and propped the door just a bit so she could see in but still have to push it to go thru into the utility room.
I sat down here at the computer and the pencil fell down. I get up and set it all up again and sat down at the computer again. Once again the pencil fell down. I got up and used a knitting needle thinking the pencil just wouldnt work. Then the knitting needle falls down too. So I gave up for now and just propped it all the way up again. I have it resting on a can. I sit down and she casually walked OUT of the utility room thru the now propped up hole. Somehow she must have snuck in there I didnt know it. She was just playing with the pencil. ~~Ya she has me trained all right.
Ill try it again in a little bit.

~~Sumer

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I have always had a doggie door to the outside since I believe it's healthier for them to potty on their schedule, not mine.

I never had to train the cats, they just followed the dogs.

The dogs trained in a few minutes. I held them so their nose was against the dd and gently helped them thru. Did the same thing outside so they learn to get back in the house.

After doing this back and forth a few times, I would stand on the opposite side and call to them. Thru the door they came. I then did it on the other side of the door. That's all it took.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**UPDATE**
Well she is starting to sort of get it. She will now go thru the door when its totally closed "IF" she is in the utility room and wants to get out. She has done that a few times already but it has taken up to 2 hours for her to get the guts to do it.. I still havent seen her go thru it to get in there yet.
At least its some progress. :) Right?
I gotta remember to buy a can of cat food. I keep forgetting.

So far, as for going into the utilty room, when I am home I prop it open just a little bit so she can see in but she hasnt actually gone thru that way yet. She now has me trained so when she meows and stands by the door in distress I shove her thru. The only way I can prop it open just a bit dosnt allow the door to swing so she can get out.
I cant trust her to do it when I am not home so I still prop it all the way up when Im not here.

~~Sumer

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
When you prop it open, use a book or stool, or something like that. When she pushes through, the door will lay back down on your prop. Only prop it open enough for her face to get through, so her back will end up pushing on the door. You could also (maybe?) remove the door and replace it temporarily with a door that is too short and too narrow for the opening. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about propping it open. It's possible this smaller door may do what you want it to do, but in any event, it may get her over her anxiety.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maura!!! OMG what you said about letting only her face fit thru and the door getting pushed up by her back... I could just hug ya. This cat is so skittish from being neglected before I got her that its unreal. I read what you wrote earlier and switched what I was propping it up with. Was using a paint can to prop it all the way up and a hairbrush to prop it up just a teeny bit. So I switched it to a can of pineapple. Its tall enough her face will fit but it still her back has to push the door up more. I think she just has to get used to the door dragging over her back and that is what is scaring her.
And TaDaaaaaaaaaa She just went in thru it to use the box for the first time... without whining for me to help her. Then she came back out all by herself..........Yaa!!!!!!!!!!!
Ill keep it this way untill she is totally used to the way the door drags over her. Then mabye get a little smaller can? Heck I am just happy she is staring to use the thing and This just might work after all. :dance:
Thank you Thank you Thank you

~~Sumer

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Isn't it mind boggling how to figure some tiny little problem that a cat or dog finds insurmountable?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.