Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There is no reason (emergency, or not), that the receiver can't politely say, "hold on, I gotta take this". I have been standing there before when someone gets a text. It peeves me when they have to read it immediately, never say a word to me when they start typing a response, and so I'm the bad guy when I turn on my heels, and walk away !?!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Definitely something that bothered me 12-15 years ago when I first noticed it.
I’d suggest rolling with it, there’s no going back.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Here is what happened yesterday.
I finished another chicken coop that happens to be inside of one of our large hog pens. My wife and I moved about 2 dozen birds from one area into the pen. Two of the sows are away in farrowing pens currently and the third slept in the woods last night; I expect from a little confusion and separation anxiety.
So from about 4:30 in the afternoon until just after sunset, my wife and I sat on a bench, or leaned against the fence watching the chickens and pig.
We left our phones in the house. We talked or just observed the critters.
Life slowed down; no short attention span, no multi tasking, no electronic fills for gaps in conversations.
We looked over our shoulders and checked the sun as it lowered, marveled at the beautiful colors in the trees, reminisced and retold old stories. The temperature dropped and I gave my wife my work jacket.
At dusk we herded the birds that didn't get the text about the new coopdiminum, locked them in and scratched the pig for the 30th time and bid goodnight.
We went inside and got cleaned up for dinner. We checked our phones for messages, plugged them into the nightstands and went to the family room to watch a movie. She had a lame piglet in a tub next to her feet she is trying to nurse well enough to mix back into the litter.

Long story I know.
The point is that phones are a necessity that now range from a convenience to a distraction to an impediment to relationships.
If you want to see how much your social skills have atrophied, shut your phone off and put it in a drawer for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
One of the reasons I have different ringtones for different callers set up on my cell phone.

Mon

·
Registered
877 Posts
Today is October 23rd and as I remember one October 23rd in 1983, it was one of those days when for us our world stopped turning...THEY CAME IN PEACE...but it was before a whole lot of consumer use technology, so I was still in bed in Richlands, NC with our baby on that Sunday morning when I got a phone call from my in laws in Ohio about a news broadcast of a terrorist bombing in Beirut, Lebanon. It wouldn't be until the 27th that I would be relayed a message through my in laws from my husband while preparing for an IG inspection on base. He was allowed 2 minutes to make a phone call and told to make it to someone he knew would be near a phone to answer. I knew that his duty was not near those buildings, but what I didn't know was what I learned in one of his letters he had written prior to the bombing, that he was scheduled for a promotion board that morning at HQ after his all night duty.
Generations before us went through situations in different aspects of their lives and many us have been through times when we wouldn't leave our homes if we thought we would be getting an important phone call.
I generally don't like cell phones because of the negatives, I certainly don't have one attached to my hip and I despise all the towers that have taken our pristine landscape around our area, but I can't say I liked being lost for hours on end traveling in Texas goat country when our GPS decided not to recognize the entire state (after flying into Houston and renting a car) and without a backroads map (my TX goat friends know ;-), or not being able to see our grandbabies in real time when the feeling strikes me, although that's usually from home on a larger device, since traveling has been nixed lately. That said, nowadays, we pay for two with different providers and the simpler flip phone on one service will actually call out from the house if I have to leave my (widow maker heart attack patient) husband home alone.

Here it's another beautiful fall day on our homestead and goats are calling maaaa name! Have a beautiful day!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Since I don't use a cell phone, if in a group of people and one starts thumbing their phone, I just carry on our conversation activity with those not attached to their devices.

If the person chooses to take a conversation call , I advise them that they and those of us at the table would appreciate that they take their call in private away from the table both for their privacy and to preserve the table social conversational atmosphere.

If talking to someone on a cell or landline either one who tries to put me on hold in the middle of our call, I instead tell them to call me back when they can continue our conversation non-interrupted.

If talking to someone using a cell phone, all the folks I know are aware if the call drops , I hang up and wait for them to call me back because my landline doesn't drop like a radio phone and they are the one who has to find a signal.

People and their cell phone obsession bother me far less than it appears their frustrations of my living without one bugs them as two folks have given me burn phones they bought for me and I refused to accept and another friend offered to include me in his friends and family cell plan and I declined as I enjoy my low tech life.

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
I understand as full time homesteaders and mostly retired folks would feel this way. Those of us that aren't retired have 2 lives. Homesteaders and work force.

Companies have done their diligence when it comes to keeping employees in touch. They keep us tethered by email and text and of course talk too.

I also do side work and actively invest. That's 3 lives for many of us. If I get an important call in the middle of a conversation I will excuse myself. If a text I will likely read it quickly if it is from someone important. I don't check emails in they middle of a conversation.

Seems some people are getting mad at some of us for doing was is necessary to support our family. If I ever hurt your feelings I apologize in advance but my family comes before your feelings. I do try and be courteous with my phone usage but life happens.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When we had a land line years ago and no caller display I would answer the phone when it rang. If we had company I would say "Excuse me please" then answer the phone .If the call was an emergency we would deal with it and make apologies to our guests. If it wasn't an emergency I would explain to the caller," I will call you back later after our company has left." Travelling in the car to work or anywhere, going to a movie or out to eat or to some other activity there were no interruptions as there were no cell phones. If someone called while we were away they would try again later. Now we each have a cell phone but I treat it exactly like the land line. It is off in certain situations and on in others. It all depends what we are doing. if I am on the phone talking to someone and their phone rings and they want to put me on hold I just " Bye for now. Catch you later" and hang up .I started doing that after someone put me on hold and forgot me and didn't break the connection!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,109 Posts
I lost a cousin in the Beirut bombing.

Reactions: mamagoose

·
Premium Member
24,030 Posts
Alice, I am sorry for your loss.

Hubby gets a lot of calls from work, about work. Too bad he doesn't get paid for the time he spends on the phone with work.

I will answer a call from my kids or mom, after excusing myself. If hubby is at work and calls I will answer that call after excusing myself. In cases where I am talking to someone I try to keep my phone conversation short, "can I call you back in a few minutes"?

When I was working I would answer calls from my employer. Those were usually to give me my schedule or beg me to come in on my days off.

I give each regular caller their own ringtone. If it's the default ringtone I usually ignore the call.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts