Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it everywhere, and I experience it myself. It's getting all too common:

Two people are sitting at a table and having a conversation, one gets a beep on their cell phone and immediately starts reading an email or text, or talking on their phone.

The most courteous ones utter something like, "Excuse me. I need to take this."

I think it is VERY inconsiderate. It tells the other person, "What you have to say is not important to me. I'd rather you just shut up."

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,107 Posts
Or, it tells you that you don’t know their life situation.

Family members have called me when:
  • he was experiencing chest pain and asked what to do
  • he was set to deploy on an aircraft carrier, but his son was diagnosed with cancer
  • his daughter was diagnosed (before birth) with a brain structure anomaly
  • my father shot himself in the back yard of our family home
  • two of my students perished in a car accident
NONE of those were expected calls. Which one do you think that I should have sent to voicemail?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I see it everywhere, and I experience it myself. It's getting all too common:

Two people are sitting at a table and having a conversation, one gets a beep on their cell phone and immediately starts reading an email or text, or talking on their phone.

The most courteous ones utter something like, "Excuse me. I need to take this."

I think it is VERY inconsiderate. It tells the other person, "What you have to say is not important to me. I'd rather you just shut up."
This almost seems like you're looking for a reason to get offended. Do you expect to be the center of the universe every time you have a conversation with someone? I'm sure you can find better things to worry about...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Agreed. Sick of it!!! Guys I work with can't have a conversation without looking at their phone once or twice. Most of them are playing a game while talking. Grown men doing this.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I think about it from the perspective of in person interruptions. If I'm sitting in my house talking to a friend and someone bursts in the door with an emergency - yep, I change my focus. If my friend is reading the newspaper while we're talking, I would probably just stop talking and tell them to let me know when they're done.

With phones, it's pretty hard to know what the screen says. If you are irritated, say something politely , like is something wrong? Do you need to leave? If they say, nah just a news update (or whatever), you can easily tell them you can get together another time. To be honest, there are a lot of variables -- is the conversation important? is the text important? Is it a one-off with that person or consistent?

I always told my boys to confront conflict starting with a Q-Tip poke -- you can always escalate to a sharp stick in the eye poke, but don't start there first. The other phrase I used with them was Trust but Verify. Personally, I don't have the energy to always be offended by bad drivers, poor manners, rude co-workers, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
DD is a principal and it is hard to talk to her. She has a personal and a work cell. They both go off repeatedly. I am used to her saying I have to go. When I am with someone or on the phone with someone and get a beep. I will look to see who it is. If DD I'll answer because it is so hard to speak to her. If it is a random call, I let it go and call back later or ck message later. Generally, I tell grandkids to put the phone down if they come to visit. I don't allow phones at the table .

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It all depends.
If I'm just having a shoot the breeze conversation, no big deal.
If I'm discussing something important, somewhat offended.
If I'm at a place of business and a customer, I might take my business elsewhere.
If it happens constantly and multiple times during a conversation I'd excuse myself and say "I'll catch up to you when you have the time."

·
Registered
508 Posts
My husband and I don't own phones so we aren't doing this practice. But he does feel it's pretty rude when he's at work chatting with other employees (who are also friends) and one by one they convert to their phones until he's sitting at a table with others but is alone. One tells him 'you need to get a phone' and I guess be as socially impolite.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Answering phone calls in the middle of a face to face conversation is just plain rude. It tells the person you are conversing with that whoever is calling in is more important than you are.

Unless you have someone close with some serious health issues or are expecting a call about winning the lottery, there is absolutely no reason to keep your cell phone ringer on, and no reason you need to let an incoming call interrupt what you are doing. If it's important, they will leave a message and you can call them back when alone and undisturbed.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I'm on both sides of this. Sometimes it's a simple Facebook post. I can't stand it. Family members "have" to look at it. A few years I caught a cab back home because my date couldn't stay off it. She asked me out and drove. I did pay for dinner before I left...

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
I'm on both sides of this. Sometimes it's a simple Facebook post. I can't stand it. Family members "have" to look at it. A few years I caught a cab back home because my date couldn't stay off it. She asked me out and drove. I did pay for dinner before I left...
You get 10 extra potential boy-friend points for that!

Mon

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,107 Posts
I have had someone in my family with serious heath issues for longer that I have owned a cell phone. I haven’t turned my phone off longer than to reboot for YEARS.

HOWEVER, I have NO notifications set for social media or news stories. My family is important. The “news” isn’t.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I say "no problem" and then hang the phone up. Most of the time I don't answer if they call back. LOL! With a face to face conversation, I simply walk away. I have become more civilized/cultured as I no longer give them the finger. LOL

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This almost seems like you're looking for a reason to get offended. Do you expect to be the center of the universe every time you have a conversation with someone? I'm sure you can find better things to worry about...
I'm sorry. I was checking my email and then got a phone call from a friend. Can you repeat that?

:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Every place is different and all situations are different.
A lot of time I think it is fine to quickly read what was sent to you as long as it dose not interrupt the flow of your conversation. If you need to do more than a quick read than yes you need to say sorry I need to take care of this right away.

Now if I had a different type of job I would have a different opinion.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I obviously don't know how to use my phone properly. I see people walking down sidewalks staring at their phone, families and couples at a restaurant staring at their phones and people staring at them driving down the road. Not once has there been anything so enthralling on mine that I have or would do that.

I will say that I have taken phone calls from people that may need attention immediately while in a face to face conversation; but, never a text or other notification. If the texter or emailer doesn't feel it worth "talking" to me, they can wait until I am done talking to the person right in front of me.

ymmv.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If it's a call from mom, dad or a tenant whom owes rent I will take it. If I'm busy everyone else takes a back seat..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts