How do you tackle dog mess?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Apr 25, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

If its a dog like you, SSS ;)

Otherwise its the OTHER SSS

Step in
    Smell
    Swear

3. OldYellersGhost

Oh please tell me, what are those first three, Shygal?

4. Shygal

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut-up ;)

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I go arund and shovel a divot and flip it clean dirt up.

6. OldYellersGhost

SG, Please take back the word "Shoot!"

Good one, CN. LOL

7. Shygal

Actually ours generally accidently falls over the fence somehow.

8. OldYellersGhost

I hope you live in the country SG.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I don my rubber glove and grab a plastic sack, then go out and do the Tootsie Roll Harvest. (aka Buster Bomb Sweep.)

Empty the bag on the hot compost heap.

Pony!

10. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

We have a large enough yard, that this really isn't a problem, but when company comes or Stretch decides to mark in the middle of a walkway, a platic bag or SS (no shoot! :haha: ) works. The one thing that I have noticed is that when we are feeding him Pedigree.... his stool breaks down faster then when we feed him other brands.

11. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

12. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I don't know... you'll have to ask my neighbors because I think that is where ours has been going. :haha:

Actually we've trained them to go in one corner of the yard... it's their corner and everyone is warned to stay away from that corner. Every three months, we shovel it all up into a pile and compost it.

13. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

14. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

here's a boring, serious answer: with 3 dogs and a medium size back yard, keeping it clean is an issue! We use 2 buckets - one 5 gallon and 1 laundry soap (smaller) bucket. The smaller one, we use to "collect". Tip bucket over and flip the poop into it with a small hand shovel. Empty smaller bucket into 5 gallon one. This makes the job go really fast, no plastic bags to mess with, and we have a large hole in the wooded part of the property where we empty the bucket. We add straw, leaves, wood ashes, etc to the hole, it composts eventually. We don't add it to our regular compost pile though.

15. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

various methods: with no yard, sandwich bag into garbage of course while walking them. in dark apt yard, weekly Saturday morning shovel-up of all my neighbors' as well as my dogs' doings.

-big big yard, ignore; kick any in path to side (but nevr were any- wonder where they DID go?)

-small yard with (blueberry/raspberry) hedges mulched with straw- under straw away from place I was growing mulch potatos

-Small yard where I was trying to rid lawn of sand burs and had been told to fertilize grass heavily, I'd gather a few days' to a week's worth (lawn could only hold a month's worth before being gross, and we were to police it regularly per landlord) in large bucket, add enough to liquefy and stir up with scooping shovel, then slop around somewhat evenly on lawn and then water in. On lazy dry days I'd just blast fresh poop with hose but was always afraid I'd get green spots if I did this too much.

16. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

my way is easyest of all i just call out NANCY and its gone im sorry but i gag

17. Snuffy

Snuffy Member

I mulch it when I mow the lawn, don't have to buy fertilizer that way.

18. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I don't tackle dog mess. It gets the front of my football uniform all dirty.

When I lived in the city, I'd borrow the neighbor's golf clubs. A sand wedge was just about right to get it over the fence into his yard. Now that we're on an acreage, I can't hit it far enough to get it off the property.

So I just get out some old Tootsie Roll wrappers and get rid of it on Halloween.

The other option is to pour a couple of gallon buckets of it into the toilet and yell, "Honey, I'm just not feeling too well." Usually gets me out of chores for a couple of days. That is if I can keep her from dragging me off to the doctor.

19. Peepsqueak

Peepsqueak Well-Known Member

I have a doggie dooley that I put the poop in. It worked fine for awhile but then it got clogged up so I have to wait for it to drain again. It is supposed to drain with enzyme into the ground....it got a little chilly so the enzyme did not work as well. Well anyway, I use gloves and pickt the yard every other day and throw it into a plastic sack to go into the trash when I cannot use the doggie dooley.

20. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

send the kids out with plastic bags and toss it in the trash pickup. :)