How Do You Store Your Mason Jar Rings?

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Pam in KY, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Pam in KY

Pam in KY Well-Known Member

You don't have problems with rusting?

2. SarahJayne

SarahJayne New Member

3. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

I have a plastic tire I store my rings in. Another for my kids and pectin.

4. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

I also keep them on the jars.
    I get a little rust now and then but not bad.
    Someone here once said they use jars of water to finish out partial canners and I've started doing that, too. So now my lids are almost always being used.

If I have rings and no jars (mostly from broken jars) I store them in an empty and washed disinfecting wipes container. Lysol and clorox wipes come in really handy plastic flip lid containers that are the perfect size

sweetbabyjane likes this.
  5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

For over 25 years I have stored rings for reuse loose screwed on the empty cleaned jars they fit upside down in the cases the jars came in to keep bugs out of the jars and store the cases of empty jars in the corner of my walk in closet. The boxes of various sized lids and few boxes of spare rings I store on the shelf in the same closet.

That way when I want to do want to can something all I have to do is grab a box of jars and rings and a box of lids to sterilize for use.

Over the years when inspecting the reused rings during prep, most of the time they have only been age tarnished a bit and I have only had to replace maybe 10 or 15 rings usually from jars that I had canned high acid stuff in and scratched the ring a bit during handling with the jar grippers.

When I first started canning we bought 30 cases of jars in a mixture of pint and quart regular and wide mouth and some extra rings and lids and over the years I have only bought lids.

Once I can enough to cover myself for a few weeks of power outage eating , I generally switch to freezing any other garden yield and use that before the canned so it doesn't freezer burn on me.