Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I can find a solution for almost everything except his caps. Do any of you have neat ideas for hanging them up? I have a BUNCH of his caps stored neatly in plastic bins under my bed, but I am looking for a solution for hanging about 30-50 over his dresser on some kind of rack.
Now I know this is going to look VERY redneck, but his dresser is out of sight around a corner in the bathroom, so it will very rarely be seen, but I still want it to look neat.

If the man leaves the house, he is coming back with a new baseball cap. I cannot fight it, I just need a solution becase there is a cap (or 10) on every horizontal surface in the place, and I need a good solution.

HELP!!!!

Kimberly

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
my answer is to throw away an old one for every new one that comes in.....and most of the time I pick the one that goes....unless he wants to choose before I do!

have him trim down the supply of hats....maybe he doesnt realize how many he really has????

Rachel

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Can you anchor cup hooks or eye hooks into beams high up and string a wire or clothesline, then take mini spring clothes pins, or regular ones, or S hooks and hang them from that all the way across. Like a large valance. He can then see what he has and take one down when he wants to wear it.

Angie

·
Registered
615 Posts
I painted a yard stick and attached clothes pins to it. It give a place to keep them and looks nice, but doesn't solve the dust problem. I have to run the vacuum brush over them on a regular basis.

I am not a collector, I tend to get rid of my things all the time. I hate clutter, so I cannot understand this at all. He seldom even wears a cap. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
My brother owned and operated a feed and seed store and would often give away caps to his better and best customers. HOWEVER he often required a trade in of the old grungy cap.

After the trade he promptly stapled the cap to a large 4' X 8' sheet of some material.

How about getting some of the 4 foot tall, round concrete forms for a box store lumber yard, cover it with contact paper or other decoration, then stack the caps inside. Fold in the back toward the brim just as they are shipped to save space.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a million, you have great suggestions. He is out of town until tomorrow night, and I want to have this done before he gets back.

I have several yardsticks, and may try that solution. He is 6'4" so I can go all of the way to the ceiling, but I am only 5'2", so dusting them is going to still be a problem. Hopefully the vacuum will reach.

Thanks for the answers. I don't know what the attraction is with the hats, but he has it bad. He isn't even going bald, he has a full head of beautiful hair.

Isn't it great that this is my big problem for today? I am a lucky girl.

Kimberly

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Our local auto parts shop owner collects caps and has them strung across the store clamped onto heavy gauge wire. They actually look very neat hung that way.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mine just throws his on the closet floor :shrug: There is no room for my stuff in our one little closet anyway, so I just shut the door and pretend it isnt there.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The last solution for this was to pick out a dozen of the nicest ones that he wore the most and pack the rest in a box. The box was a little smaller then a washing machine. I put the box in the garage. He never found them or asked for them – so I guess he never missed the extra hats; this was about 4 years ago. Should give you an idea what the garage looks like too.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Make a rectangle frame out of 1 x 2's the same size of his dresser, run stainless steal wire 1" apart the length of frame. Mount from ceiling above dresser - attach caps by those little cutesy cloths pins by the adjustment strip. Out of the way, cleaver, conversation piece.

Marlene

1 - 16 of 16 Posts