How do you "shock" a well?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HoosierDeb, Aug 21, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I know you put bleach down it, let it sit for a while then run the water until it doesn't smell like bleach any more, but I'm trying to figure out how you get the bleach in the well to begin with. Can anyone help?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Is this a 2 inch or a 6 inch well? or other size?

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

This is assuming you have a standpipe well. There should be an access port on the top which would be used to service the pump head. If you take it off it will expose the casing. Bleach is then poured down and circulated by running it through a hose back into the casing. Once the water in the standpipe is bleach saturated every outlet is run until the water smells like bleach. Then the entire system is allowed to sit for a period, such as overnight, and the bleach flushed out of the system. Avoid the concentrated bleach water going into septic systems, such as using a garden hose to vent the water in a place where it is least likely to do harm. Once the wellpipe is flushed out, each line can be opened to flush it was well. Have the water from tubs go into a 5-gallon bucket to be poured outside.

Some well heads are in a type of box below ground level. I suspect if you open it up, you will be required to extend the casing above ground level.

4. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

it's a 2" well with a stand pipe. I've had the cap off before and it seemed like I couldn't get anything to go down it. is there something else I have to take out? The pump is in the basement. How much bleach would you use?

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You are going to have to do some calculations to determine how to get the treatment to have 1000 PPM.. If the shock treatment is not done properly the problem will resurface. I suggest you read here

http://www.malibuwater.com/Shock.html

http://www.water-research.net/shockwelldisinfection.htm

On a 2" system with a jet pump using the casing as part of the circuit you will need to mix the chlorine with the priming water. If you just have a suction line in the casing the best you can do is to pour the solution slowly down the inside of the casing and then connect the outlet of the pump to a hose and go into a recirculation setup with the water returning into the well via the gap between the inner pipe and the casing. The article above will explain the exposure of the other items in the system.