How do YOU shade your veggies in summer?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gita s., Jul 30, 2004.

1. gita s.

gita s. Guest

I'm looking for ideas on ways to shade my veggies that have a hard time in the 90+ degree heat. The squash, melons, and peppers just look so sad and droopy, the peppers scald, and the melon plants just don't make very many melons.

How do you shade your veggies? When you use shade cloth how do you put grommets on them and how do you hang them? All ideas welcome! Thanks.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I use shade cloth, I just tie sting around ends and use that to tie to posts.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't shade veggies at all - just mulch deep and water deep. Veggies do BEST in FULL SUN.

4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Well, I hit on this idea a few years ago and it seems to work fine.

In every hill of squash and melons I plant 4 tall sunflower seeds in the moat around the hill. The squash gets plenty of sun while it's growing and then a little shade when the sunflowers get big.
    Works great and looks pretty.

Some of my peppers and tomaotes get scourched by the sun, haven't found a workable solution for that yet, but haven't givin up ....

Kris

5. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

I was lucky, I found a bunch of already grommetted shadecloth at a thrift store. I think it came off dog runs, so its long and about five feet wide- good for beds.

I drape this shadecloth over some taller tomato cages. It's portable, quick and if you have wind you can tie it down quick with trash bag ties to the cages. I make sure the cages are taller than the pepper & tomato cages. I usually have to do this a few weeks in the hottest sun only.

I also plant sunflowers over some stuff and do the three friends of corn, beans and squash together. Plant the corn first and let it get a jump :)

6. tara313134

tara313134 Member

One I keep working on is to let the plants have as much morning to noon sun as possible, but to filter or completely block out the more damaging afternoon direct light. This takes some experimenting because about every plant has their own personal needs and this can be done in many different ways.