How Do You Separate Mint in Pot?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Apr 29, 2006.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I bought some Apple Mint about six weeks ago. I have already repotted it once, to a gallon bucket, from a three inch pot.

The mint is growing so rapidly that it is outgrowing the gallon pot. So I need to separate it and repot.

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but how do I separate mint?

Do I just manually force the rootball separate with my hands? Can this kill the plant? Are there things I should keep in mind when I do this?

This plant grows so fast I'm thinking of dividing the plant into three or four different segments and putting each segment in its own gallon pot.

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i doubt you will hurt the plants by ripping apart the rootball. i would just tear into it. most mints that i have seen or handled are very prolific. you won't kill it. you would probably struggle to kill it if you tried.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I see, too, Mspacman, that you are in Tennessee? Put some of it outside! Give it a little shade and it should do GREAT!

4. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

MELOC is right. Its hard to kill mints. And they can take over a plot in a hurry if planted in the ground. So be carefull where you plant it if you do.

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Yeah, just rip it apart. You can't kill mint easily. I strongly recommend that you keep your mint in pots, and repot whenever required. You're asking for trouble if you put it into your garden. It has ambitions for world domination.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

its a conspiracy, lol. there is kudzu in the south, wild garlic ruining the pastures of the mid-west and now mint too. where do i run?

7. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I've actually cut a rootbound pot of mint into quarters with a knife, it didn't miss a beat. Mint reproduces by runners, so each stem you see is potentially a new plant. Make certain you give it lots and lots of room.

8. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to put it into the ground so it won't dry out so fast you could do this: take a 5 gallon bucket and cut out the end. Dig a hole and set that into the hole and them fill it up with the dirt and plant the mint in it. They will stay much moister in the ground than in a pot. If you want a much larger plot without the fear of it taking over just find a piece of that black plastic culvert about 18" long and sink it in the ground. Just be sure to leave the edge of the container-any container- sticking up above the ground 4-6" so the runners won't go over the top and spread into the nearby soil.