Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Give it a soak in cold, salty water. That will kill the little buggers and they will float out of the broccoli, just like RoseGarden said.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Cook the broccoli as is. Worms turn brown and you'll be able to see them easier and pick them out before serving. Shouldn't be anything squeemish about that. If you can tolerate them being there before you put the broccoli in the pot, you can tolerate them after!

Martin

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We always soaked in salty water - then checked really carefully. One still slips by once in a while but the salty water really helped

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
susieM, you sound like my grandma! UGH! It used to be my job to check the broccoli after it was soaked in salt water because I was the one always finding those stupid bugs on my plate! I guess I was the only one that looked that close. They don't always float to the top and they don't always turn brown. Just check the broccoli carefully, looking extra hard in the close places where the bugs like to hide. Don't even get me started on the eggs! Had to pick eggs and caterpillars off my kale last night. Not my favorite chore but better than eating the critters.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Spray/dust with BT. Organic little organisms that kill worms and caterpillars.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Rockin'B said:
Spray/dust with BT. Organic little organisms that kill worms and caterpillars.

ditto on the BT or Dipel, same thing. Timely applications of BT will prevent those buggers. BT is completely approved for organic purposes. When I see the white/green butterflies around my brassicas, I wait a few days then dust with Dipel.

I loved susieM's comment. Seriously I wish I could eat broccoli with the extra protein, just can not do it :)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
dust your plants with rye flour, not sure why but it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts