Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i have a question.. cause Ive hit a snag and wondered how you all do it..

OK you lay out the squares... and have to have the" sashing" .. OK i have 3 rows of 3 and sashing....

Do you sew 123 456 789( row 1 row 2 row 3) or do you sew 147 258 369 (strip 1 strip 2 strip 3)( does that make sense??)

I sewed them all left row, then middle, then all right row w/ sashing in between the blocks. then sew the "STRIP" to the middle "strip" ect... :duel: but its a battle to get them to ALL match up!! top 6 line up great, get to last row and bam.. OFF!!! :Bawling: SO now back to rip/ snip/ sew again!!!

Just wondering if i am going about it all wrong!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Ok I think I have this right in my mind. I sew 1,2,3 4,5,6 and 7,8,9. Then I sew the first row, 1,2,3 to row 4,5,6. Then 4,5,6 to row 7,8,9. Does that make sense?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,248 Posts
It doesn't matter! You can do it either way, and it's fine.

Yes, it's hard to make it all line up straight, no matter which way you go.

After it's done and washed a couple of times, it doesn't matter.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Ok I think I have this right in my mind. I sew 1,2,3 4,5,6 and 7,8,9. Then I sew the first row, 1,2,3 to row 4,5,6. Then 4,5,6 to row 7,8,9. Does that make sense?
This is what I do too. And squaring before hand makes a HUGE difference.
I also line the seams up as I go, then if 7 & 8 have a huge seam difference from 4 & 5, I can see and fix it before I get them all sewn together.
(does that make sense??)
Sashing does help to cover some of the seam differences too. I usually try to keep it to no more than 1/4" difference. Unless I am real tired and cranky, then I just let it go! lol!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Working on cutting perfectly with a rotary cutter and your rulers first and foremost. If the cut is off, it's downhill from there.

Then master that scant 1/4 inch seam. Find out where it is on your machine, then use some tape or something to mark it.

Cut 3 strips of fabric 1 1/2 inches wide. Sew them together and press. You should have a perfect 3 1/2 in strip when done. If not, figure out the adjustment until it's perfect.

If you cut accurately and keep those seams accurate, you won't have trouble lining up the blocks.

Now saying that... I'm still working on it :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts