How do you price your goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rainedaze, Dec 10, 2004.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I was wondering how to determine a reasonable price for goat kids. I will be having some kids that are mixed breeds, some purebreds, and some registered kids. I already have someone that would be interested in some of our kids if they are the right sex and would like to know a price. We are new to this and are unsure how to fairly price our goat kids.
    They would like to take the kids soon after birth and bottlefeed them themselves. Does this make a difference on the cost of the goat?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

registered purebreds will get $150 for breeding age doe minimum
    weaned doelings$125

cross breeds with one registered parent does $125 breeding age
    weaned doelings$100

mixed everything doe breeding age $75
    doelings$50

registered bucklings reserved before born $100

all other surplus bucks, wether, eat, or send to market for little or nothing

If they take them as yound as 1 week, I would only charge $75 for reg. doeling and if they buy more than one discount more!

It also matters how much your stock cost and what demand or lack thereof for goats in your area. And if you cant afford to feed them get rid of them cheap!

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Don't be too hasty on giving away those little bucks and wethers for nothing. Around here, goat meat on the hoof brings up to $1.25/lb. at the goat auctions. You should be able to ask at least a dollar a pound for a little goat. That's something. It adds up. Also, I would castrate those little bucks. It does the goat industry no good and hurts goat breeders to have extra bucks floating around that are not the cream of the crop. Only great bucks should be allowed to breed and once a buckling leaves your place it can end up producing generations of offspring it was not intended too. Let only your great bucklings create progeny. (Everyone has their own definition of "great" but be very discriminating).

4. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Wow! where do you live? In my kneck of the woods you can buy a bred full blooded papered doe (2 to 3 years old) bred to a papered buck for $175.00!! You do good to get $60.00 for a doeling kid! And if your a return customer or friend its always cheaper ;) That and most breeders that I know would never dream of selling a kid at a week old, too risky for the animal and the buyer. Thats dairy breeders of course, mainly because the dairy breeds tend to be more sensitive at that preweened age. Plus most everyone will agree that milk replacer is never as good as the real thing, most will say the animals are weaker for it and tend to be not as healthy as adults even. But then again, the only way the people I know get those prices you were listing is if the sell on-line vs locally. When it comes to wethers we alway check the livestock auction sites to see what the meat market is bringing for that week....its been pretty good these days! I usually look it up to see what to sell my does for also. Some times it pays to know. That way if she's papered I can ask a little more then what their going for at auction :)

5. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Last spring, I sold UNREGISTERED cross bred yearling does for 75.00, weaned doelings for 45.00, and wethers for 25. They were half Nubian, half Togg. Some 3/4 Nubian, 1/4 Togg. I just sold a wethered buckling at auction, born in May, for 62.50, about $1 per pound. That's in Colorado. Depends on the time of year, size of animal, etc. I'm keeping my purebred does for now. Jan in Co

6. Baaa

Baaa Active Member

I live in Texas close to Tyler, If you have a registered Nubian or LaMancha doe and shes bred to a registered buck .....

and you will sell her for less that $200.00 .... PLEASE contact me !!!

7. And up here I feel lucky to get rid of them for $10 each at less than a week old. I got $1.04 lb for 5 month old lambs last year---using the same amount of milk to raise baby goats I would have gotten 25 cents a pound for them at the same age!! The price/cost and availability of goats of all ages and sexes varies widely around the country.

8. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Culled milkers go to the dairy -- they come up from California and will pay $150 for yearlings and $200 for 2 year olds. I seldom sell milkers privately because it really isn't worth the hassle.

I got $85-90 a piece for 3 to 4 month old wethers at the sale yard this year.

I haven't really thought about pricing for this year yet. I am at the point that I keep most of my doe kids and freshen them. Any registered kids will probably go in the $250 and up range. I'm not quite to the point of selling in the $500 range yet ;-) Maybe in a few years, lol.

Tracy

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Culled Nubian does start at 350$ here...a cull is a doe I can't show in my show string, doesn't mean she can't go to other areas and win :) You simply have to look past the price, make sure you are getting superb aftercare, that the goat comes tested for CAE, comes from a CL free herd, is milkstand ready and of course in Nubian is a purebred. Bred to the right buck she can make you this money back her first kidding, milk her for 10 months and she can make this money back selling her milk...breed her to a boer and she can make you the money back in kid sales in 3 years :no: .....sorry had to do it :)

Milkers are dear right now, anything in milk and I mean anything, that is disease free is running 400$. I would kill to have been able to bring yearlings from Tracy's area down here, I would have kept some for myself to milk next year and sold the rest. I looked for older yearlings (looking for 4), that usually stay dry in most herds, I would have bred them in Dec to kid for summer through winter milk, alas the cheapest group I would have even allowed in the barn was 300$ each and I would have had to buy all 10! Vicki

10. Tracy in Idaho

Vicki, would you believe the guy took back *75* milkers to California on that one trip?! You couldn't have crammed another goat in that trailer if you had tried.

We just can't get those kind of prices here for family milkers. Most folks will die if you mention anything over $100. :no: It's not worth the hassle to me to have to deal with people for those prices. I can send them down the road to the dairy and know they are taken care of.

Tracy

11. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I paid $100 each for two doe kids and a five year old milker (Kinder goats), and $200 for a really nice little buck kid this last summer. And thought I'd gotten a reasonably good price on them. Once I get more than one or two does kidding each year, I think I'll put them on a web site, as that's how I found the breeder of these goats, and I know she had at least one other 'starter flock' sale that the people found her through the internet also. You can find buyers from a wider area that way than just advertising in the local papers.

Kathleen

12. Tracy in Idaho

Definitely advertise on the Internet!!!
    Heck, I have a kid coming from Kentucky in a few months, and will most likely order a kid from Colorado as well.

I was coming back from Washington this summer when it hit me that the 2 tiny little kids I had in the back were $1000 worth of goats. :eek:
    I had to pull over before I hyperventilated, LOL!

Tracy

13. Baaa

Baaa Active Member

NO milkers wet or dry to be found here for sale , infact I have NOT seen any all year !

14. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Jan, Where in CO are you located?? Im in Sidney Nebraska...about 50 miles from Sterling CO! I have bougt a few goats in CO...but I have mainly stuck with a gal I met online thats ADGA and breeds full Nubians in Eddyville NE. I like her cause she's reasonable and has even let me make payments, with the goat already in my possession! (Thats impressive to me! LOL) Plus she carries some really nice bloodlines with lots of milk and color.

15. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Maine....and my Nubian Nanny has good production and 4 inch teats, this is her last breeding :waa: bred to full Nubian buck 3 times (2 diff bucks)...I also bottle feed her babies so they are super friendly. Her teats are bigger than my friends 8yo Jersey cow... :D I have two of her daughters bred as well this year, one is her little clone, the other is a cross but both have moms disposition, devotion, and the cross had 2 doelings as a first freshener and 3/4 gal milk that was the best taste winner out of 5 does (including her mom). My children insist on the taste test. :p My toggy always gets the blechy award. :confused:

I think that at auction around here goats are cheap...like half of my prices but you get what you get at the auction....

I certainly dont make any money but they earn their keep thru milk and kids and I love the little buggers more than any human :eek: