Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how one determines a selling/buying price for an adult breeding boar (adult being one year or older and proven breeder)?
What is fair or "the norm"? By weight? By general availability or lack thereof the breed in the area? Other?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Heavy boars go for cheap at the sale. $20-30 cwt. so you need to find someone needing a boar for breeding. I'm guessing he's between 400-600 lbs. sale barn will get you $70-160 after commission. You could cut him feed him out for a month or two. Then you would be looking at .50-60 a lb. at the barn.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
It depends on the lineage, teat count, size... $750 is our base for adults which are around 300 lbs. $250 for weaners. Fair is a weird concept - the price is right between a willing buyer and seller. I would not sell a boar for less than the value of the meat - I would rather slaughter him and make meat. I get $3.50/lb hanging weight - that's about $750 at 300 lbs live.

-Walter

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Curious how one determines a selling/buying price for an adult breeding boar (adult being one year or older and proven breeder)?
What is fair or "the norm"? By weight? By general availability or lack thereof the breed in the area? Other?
Breed? I go look at the boar. Try to see offspring, register or not? The ones i have buy/sell is not by the lb. For me its been 150-600 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
What makes this boar breedable other than the fact that he has testicles?

Does he have superior growth?

Do his daughters make great mothers?

Do his offspring have desirable eating characteristics?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All great input. Thank you.
Gerold, we are considering selling our Berkshire boar (vs. butchering).

He is 11 months currently and has a newly weaned first litter on the ground. So, some of the above advice is too early to tell. But, it seems Berkshires are rare in our area. Guess it just depends on whether someone is looking for one. He could have been registered when we bought him, but we didn't. He's a good pig, but I had unexpected success in my horse-breeding goals and need for the pigs to move out of the barn and paddock this winter. I am sure he and the others will survive in something makeshift, if we keep him.
Just looking ahead at options. Thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts