How do you paint a popcorn ceiling?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lacyj, Mar 10, 2005.

1. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hi,
    DH has been working on a neighbor's older double wide trailer for a while, now. It had settled and the roof leaked. He's got it leveled now and the roof repaired, but the popcorn textured ceiling is stained and needs painting. I don't think that the water mark can be washed away, how do you paint this stuff? He doesn't really want to paint it as it's over head work and it's hard for him. He's had his shoulder joint replaced and his neck is fused (pinned, screwed and a plate in there) not much neck movement. It's a vaulted ceiling, too.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    lacyj

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Rent a sprayer. You'll find that popcorn stuff just breaks off if you try and roll it, and it'll take you forever to roll paint into all those nooks and crannies.

I am soooo glad our house has flat ceilings! Much easier to paint and clean.

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I've been doing work on my place. I used antique white flat ceiling paint and touched up some opps i made with paint around the edge and it looks pretty good now.

I was told by someone who knows their stuff that if i did want to do the ceiling, i should cut in with an angled brush, then screw a broom handle onto the end of the roller arm and roll it on the ceiling.

And make sure you cover everything in the room.

They are the worst!

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Don't!! Heh!! I personally think that it's better to just remove the popcorn, retexture or plaster, and paint. Keep in mind, the popcorn texture comes off if it gets moist, and too much paint can make it come loose from the ceiling.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've removed the stuff before and it comes off pretty easily if you dampen it a bit. I've painted it too. Depending on the particular type you may be able to paint it with a thick roller. I've done it a few times but it was the more rugged type. Another room I did had the more delicate type and I just sprayed it. I don't like the looks of the textured look myself. Mostly I think people put it up to cover up crappy sheetrock work. At least that is why I put it on. ;)

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Use spray paint to cover a water mark. Kilz makes a spray product.

Jena

7. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Gather the following supplies
    plastic sheeting/ cheep shower curtains ect
    Lots of newspaper

liq dish det
    hot water

shallow clean cheep kitty litter pan or rubermaid tote to fit paint roller
    thick paint roller
    and long handle
    scraper firm that can attached to long handle

1 put plastic on floor
    2 a thick layer of paper

3 have a cup of coffee

4 get hot water in pan of choice and a dash of det
    5 "paint" ceiling with soap water lots in one direction

6 have a cup of coffee

Repeat 3&4 but go in oppsite direction when Painting

WARNING THIS ROUND WILL BE MESSY AS SOME GLOBS OF THE STUFF WILL BE FALLING DOWN

pick up that layer of new paper and lay another

Skip coffee break as you need to work while it is wet

now scrape the ceiling

Repeat steps as needed.

Let ceiling dry and add a tex mix to the piant to hide any problems that is why it was tex in the beginning

8. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Use spray kiltz on the water places.

I have had success with using a foam roller that has cuts in it about ever 1/4 in that separates it into sections. Coat the roller with a lot of paint and roll on until that coat is just about gone off the roller, usually about 3 ft. Then recoat roller and start from the end of the first roll. Never roll over the previous roll as it will remove the popcorn. You can touch it up when it is dry. Which usually takes a few days.

They also make a touch up spray paint popcorn that you can touch up any areas that the popcorn has come off of.

You can also cover everthing in the house and get an airless sprayer and do a good job on the popcorn.

I have done both ways roller and sprayer. Just takes time and be sure an not get overtired. Rest.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

My mother swept the popcorn ceiling with a broom and then painted it. Got most of the stuff down that way, and it looked pretty good when she was done. Definitely use kilz on the stained spots. And either use a sprayer, or a long-handled roller, for painting.

Kathleen

10. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

I'm sorry, but I just have to say it...with melted butter and a little bit of salt. :rolleyes:

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Kilz is a product that my system will hardly tolerate. I can take a trip smelling it and never leave home! There is an alternative called Zinzer 123 that is water based and works fine, sold by "Slowes" I suggest that you consider this if your cannot tolerate strong odors/solvents. You need to spray the replacement finish coat to achieve a professional finiish IMO.

12. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

hermet, you beat me to it! :D

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hmmm, is that the scottish version? :D