How do you melt your REAL butter?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Nov 24, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I have bought some jersey butter from some amish and it smells and looks beautiful but I haven't figured out how to melt it without it stinking. It flat out STINKS! Like it's rotten. How do you melt yours? I melt my margarine in a pan on the stove and it does fine but boy......... WHEW!

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I haven't melted homemade butter, but butter from the store I melt in the microwave under a watchful eye. Maybe it would work for yours? By the way, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe that "homemade" butter has a much stronger smell because the cream is allowed to raise and seperate out over a longer period of time, rather than by the use of mechanical seperation. Not sure about the Amish, but I've read that some people like to let the cream develop a stronger, sort of "ripe" flavor before making butter from it.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Yes, my hubby and I just had a discussion about this. Traditionally, homemade butter is made from cream that has been allowed to separate on it's own and that causes it to age a bit.

Storebought butter says "sweet cream" butter because they process it right away, and it doesn't get that odor.

I can't eat homemade butter due to the odor and off taste. I think you had to grow up with that to think it's not spoiled.

5. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

The butter we made from our jersey milk cow just smelled like that. I didn't like it and still won't use it...... Love the milk, hate the butter.....

6. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Our fresh butter never has any kind of off smell or taste. It's sweet and clean tasting. I won't make it with cream that tastes the slighest bit old because I hate that yucky tasting butter - they call it "cultured", hah! To me it's just gross.

7. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Butter made over 75 years ago HAD a much stronger flavor, because it was allowed to sour for at least 12 hours before churning. To even get any kind of "buttery taste" to butter from our supermarket, which carries maybe a half dozen brands even in our tiny, remote burgh, I have to pay extra money to buy either the Darigold or Tillamook, otherwise, it doesn't even taste like butter to me! Gees, my first husband, when we had our first cow, in 1973, had me souring the cream for 3-4 days, collecting in a 3 gallon manual churn. It was terrific tasting butter, from a Brown Swiss. However, with my 3/4 GuernseyXAngus, I only let her cream sit outside the fridge for up to 24 hours before churning.

My current husband's with you guys who like tasteless butter! So, I have to buy butter for him -- and my 15 yr. old grandson; I end up using mine myself, and cooking with it. He doesn't know the difference, then. Much of it goes into my bread machine bread and rolls.

I was exposed to "farm butter" on my uncle's Vt. dairies back between 1944 and 1946, and my first husband was partly raised on a No. Carolina sharecropper's farm, by his great-grandmother. So, that's how, early on, I learned to like strongly flavored butter.

As for melting it, 4 tablespoonsful will melt at 40 seconds in a 900 watt microwave. Put it into a ceramic or glass container with a pour spout. On the cooktop in a frypan, mine doesn't smell so bad, so I've no trouble with that.

I'd ask if you're not getting enough of the buttermilk out of your butter; it can sometimes take quite a bit of time to press that out, and make your cold rinsing water run off it clear.

Hope this was helpful.