Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to how you guys manage your boars and sows? Do you move the sows to the boar for breeding? I've heard stories of people keeping their boar and sows penned together? How far away do you keep your boar from your sows? Etc...???? I'm just hoping to get some ideas from you guys.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My boar hangs out with the ladies up until farrowing. The I do like to isolate the one whos about to farrow just so they can have privacy. I still haven't figured out how to feed lactating sows with the whole herd so usually those girls are together.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We keep our boars and sows together in boar centric herd territories. Each territory has a lead boar as well as one or more sub boars. The territories consist of multiple fields further divided into paddocks for managed rotational grazing. We move the sows between the boar herds to manage genetics for breeding. The boar territories are separated from each other buy double fences with no-man zones between them so the boars do not share a fence line. They like the security of knowing their territory is theirs - this fits into their natural ken.

There is some discussion here:

http://SugarMtnFarm.com/vet-visit

Boars kept even with gestating sows are a lot happier than kept alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts