How do you make one?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by silverjump, Jan 2, 2005.

1. silverjump

silverjump New Member

I'm getting pretty board just living in the middle of nowher with nothing to do so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making a longbow. I know a site that explains it, but without any figures/pics it's kinda hard to get around certain parts. Are there any books worth getting? I'd like to get a copy of each book to the Bowyer's Bible vol. 1-3 but I've read at some sites that it is a little to complex for the complete beginner. I also was wondering if anyone know where I could pic up a draw knife and a hand plane. Thanks for the input.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Hope you got a real tall coffee mug and a bunch brewin,just put 'homemade long bow' into google, there is 1,970,000 sites.

PS. Welcome new poster, we are growing at about 400 per month nowdays.

3. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

THE BOWYER'S CRAFT.....by Jay Massey
    several others at librarie but I can't remember the names.

4. Caleob K.

Caleob K. Member

I've got Volume 1. There is alot of inforation in it, but I wouldn't say it was overly complex.

As for the tools, ebay has a nice selection of drawknives both used and new.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  6. Moopups, that is a interesting site. I will have to visit it more.

Silverjump, there are several books out there with good info but if you can find someone to teach you it will be well worth it. If you lived in my are I would know someone who could train you. I made two bows that didn't turn out very good and then I had a experienced bowyer teach me and am now the proud owner of my very own homemade stickbow. Made out of a Mulberry tree and the drawweight is 49# at 38" draw. A good bowyer can make one from start to finish in one full day. Took me about a week each on the first two I tried. My next task is to learn how to make my own arrows and arrowheads. Good luck!

7. athorne

athorne Member

I believe that one of the Buckskinner books shows you how to build a bow. There are several volumes in the Buckskinner series however and I am sorry but I can't remember which vol. covers bow building.