How do you make cornstarch?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 2togo, Dec 25, 2005.

1. 2togo

2togo Member

I have been searching, but I can not find a single thing on how to make cornstarch, preferably using as little "modern" tools as possible. I guess what I really want to know is, how did they do it way back when using improvised materials from the land? ANY insights would be greatly appreciated.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking this would be dificult in a home setting. If I were to try, I would grind it very fine (like flour), mix it with water, and keep what settles to the bottom and dry it.

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=How+is+cornstarch+made%3F[/ame]

They wouldn't have had it, working from scratch at home. What they'd use would be to finely-sift white flour, then rub it through a silk screen. They'd use only the very fine dust that made it through.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

What are the planned uses?

5. 2togo

2togo Member

I know that it has antibacterial properties. The marines use it to keep their feet dry and free of athletes foot. Knowing this, I started using it on my son's diaper rash. It cleared it up faster than any cream. So I would like to know how to make it myself...just in case.

6. cherig22

cherig22 Active Member

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

http://www.starch.dk/isi/starch/tm18www-corn.htm

Cleaned corn softens in hot sulphurous water. A coarse grind releases the germ and a fine grind and screening separates fibre and starch. The mill stream is deglutinated and refined by washing again and again in hydroclones to remove the last trace of protein and produce high quality starch.

I don't think it would be practical to try to make it at home. I would be inclined just to buy a quantity and store it. A dozen boxes should last a very long time and keeps very well.

At one time rice powder was used in most of the same ways as corn starch is now. You would grind the rice very finely and screen it, tho most of the time the rice flour was put into a bag made of finely woven but thin material and 'pounced' on to the area.

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I would think that potato starch would have been used instead.

Lynda

9. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I didn't find instructions for making corn starch, but I did find an illustrated guide for making white potato starch and sweet potato starch.

Go here:
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/armoorefam/Celiac/

Scroll down to
    I Made Homemade Potato Starch and Flour - Here Is How

It's very interesting. Looks easy to do.

10. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I just bought 25 pounds from the resturant suppy for $10. Then I repackaged it in jars.