Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Saanen & Boer Breeder
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to make a permanent outdoor grill that I can cook on outside. I was thinking maybe of using limestone...... would that work? I'm talking about a grill that's maybe 3'x4'.... nothing huge and fancy. Of course with a chimney but I'm hoping you all know what I'm talking about. Do you all have any ideas, thoughts, pictures or plan you would want to share? THanks a lot in advance!

·
Up the Creek
201 Posts
I am wanting to make a permanent outdoor grill that I can cook on outside.(I was hoping you were planning to use it outside) I was thinking maybe of using limestone...... would that work?(Not a great idea. try taking a torch to the limestone and see what happens. use safty glasses, some limestone can be very explosive.) I'm talking about a grill that's maybe 3'x4'.... nothing huge and fancy.(3' by 4' is HUGE!) Of course with a chimney but I'm hoping you all know what I'm talking about. Do you all have any ideas, thoughts, pictures or plan you would want to share?(Google Outdoor Grill Plans- plenty there.)

Doug

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
If you lined it with fire brick or a metal box it would work. I think that a brick one can be used even without fire brick as long as the place where the fire would be made was lind with concrete or fire brick. Most of the ones that I have seen have a metal box in them for the fire to be placed in. The chimeny can be of amything as long as it is lined with clay flue tile. Have fun making whatever you want.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
mtman, I always thought that there were certain kinds of stone that would explode under heat. How do you know what is what? Your table and fireplace are awesome!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
thank you
i see a lot of old fire places made out of this type of stone so i thought it would be ok the base is concrete so you can put a layer of sand on it that will stop it from poping

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,672 Posts
HilltopDaisy said:
mtman, I always thought that there were certain kinds of stone that would explode under heat. How do you know what is what? Your table and fireplace are awesome!!
You wouldnt want to use ANY stones taken from rivers or streams. Its the moinsture content that makes them explode.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
allenslabs You can do it. All you need to do is make a fraime around wheir you want the grill level it up and pour it full of concrete and smoth it up. Mixing the concrete is rough but you can do it. Once the concrete is poured and set all you need to do is to the fraimwork out of what ever you want. Be sure to put a place for the fire to sit on. Then when you get to the chiminy you place a couple of flue tiles in side and brick aroun them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts