how do you make a griswold cast iron waffle maker work?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Ok, I did it. I now own a griswold waffle iron.

This is ..... different.

I can't figure out how to make it work.

Here are some pics on ebay

Is this for camp fires only?

Will it work on my electric stove?

Do I need to flip it constantly?

Anybody actually used one of these?

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I don't own a Griswold, but I have a similar one from Lehman's, a Nordicware and it is the best waffle iron I've ever used. It has a non-stick surface so I just give it a quick spray with Pam and use it on top of my gas range. I give it about one minute per side and it really is far better than any electric waffle iron i've ever used.
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Nordic_Ware_15040_Waffle_Maker/display_~reviews

3. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I have to stop reading this forum - another thing to add to my "wants" list!! lol

Seriously, those irons are AWESOME. I don't know why I never thought to look for a "manual" iron vs. an electric one. Very, very cool.

4. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I never used mine on the electric stove because I perceived it would be too messy if a little oil leaked out while flipping it, and I don't put cast iron on electric burners, anyway.

I have two Griswold cast iron waffle irons, then another brand stovetop Belgian waffle iron. I use them on propane stove and woodstoves. They need to be incredibly seasoned to have the non-stick surface, not the spray and cook seasoning, but the baked on hand rubbed seasoning. ( there's been a couple of recent threads on seasoning cast iron)

It takes experience to adjust the heat for the particular iron, not too hot, not too cool. Some have a shallow base, some have a deep base and my Belgian one sits right on the burner, so the heat is quite variable between models.

Practice makes perfect. You may cook up a lot of chicken food before you have the seasoning and temperatures correct, I know I did.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

7th item down is recipes and instructions for your Griswold waffle iron.

6. BlazingStarChic

BlazingStarChic Member

Hi Everyone
    These are Great for cooking waffles. I collect old cast iron cookware and love using it.
    The old waffle irons were made with different height base units. For electric stoves (and wood burning stove with small fire) the base has only a couple of inches space between stove burner and bottom of waffle. The taller base was for gas stoves or wood stove use. These are six or so inches tall depending on what company it was made by.
    Along the same subject, cast iron cookware, I noticed several other questions about proper way to season cast iron.
    I got into collecting cast iron while working as a antiques dealer so I have handled well over 1,000 pieces of cookware and believe me every piece of it needed cleaning and reseasoning..
    Do Not Burn your cast iron in a fire to clean the crud off of it. This can warp or even crack the iron.
    Best way to clean... Get a can of Red Devil Lye at grocery or hardware store. Get 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket and fill with as much COLD water as needed to cover cast iron piece you want to clean. Remove pan from water and slowly add Lye to COLD water and stir with long stick. Put pan into water and wait a couple of days then check. Lye will remove all grease, crud, etc but will not remove rust. Remove rust with wire brush, circular brush in a drill works good.

*****Lye is unsafe in Hot water, it may explode but perfectly safe in cold water.
    Do not touch the lye water, it will burn your skin BAD.
    Use to clean iron or steel, Never use with aluminum. Lye will dissolve an alum pan and you'll have nothing left. I once put an alum. pan with steel handle in lye water and several days later all I got back was the handle!!

Seasoning is simple. Wipe cast iron all over with CRISCO or similar shortening. Bake in a low heat 250 to 300 oven. Do this as often as possible in beginning. Takes a while to get a good seasoning on your iron. Good way to "add to seasoning" is when you use oven for cooking, when thru, wipe down some cast iron with shortening and put it in oven.
    Never use Veg oil. This will make pan sticky and does not season it right.
    Never season in oven under very high heat, this will only burn the grease you're trying to season into your pan. For adding shortening to items like a waffle iron or cornstick pan... get a small cheap paint brush dab in grewase and lightly brush on. Gets grease into crevices. Don't overgrease pans though. Too much grease stops the "seasoning effect"
    Lard is BEST for seasoning but most folks don't use it anymore so that's why I suggest Crisco.
    Bacon Grease is Not Good as it has salt in it.
    I'm new here and have enjoyed reading postings on all sorts of subjects the last few days. Very nice website, I'll be spending lots of spare time here!!
    Randy

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

BlazingStarChic : Wow, great first post. Welcome to the board!

Guessing camp fire cooking with one might be a real pain?

8. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have the base with yours or just the waffle iron?? there is a base that it sets in that will set over your burner. i see one for sale on your ebay that is just the iron. i use mine on my gas stove. Like they say it needs t be seasoned. but I onlly turn mime once. i turned it a few times when i first got it till I go an idea how long i could leave it.

9. BlazingStarChic

BlazingStarChic Member

You can use in a campfire to cook waffles, just use over a low bed of coals. Might burn or undercook one ocassionally but not like it's something expensive so that don't matter.

Another one of my favorite uses for waffle irons.... Chocolate cake. Just mix up a cake mix making it a little "soupier" than for cake and cook in waffle iron. Our Grandkids LOVE These!!! and so do I

10. BlazingStarChic

BlazingStarChic Member

Hey Insanity... I just moved to Florida last year from a little town called Erin, just south of you. I had an antique shop there and one in Tenn Ridge for several years. Got a lot of my inventory from auctions in that area. Went to those Curtis Bellamy auctions every week for Years & Years, I bet you've seen those auctions all around Clarksville. Then in 97 I discovered ebay. Closed the shop and started selling on ebay. Health problems made me have to move last year, I have kids here in Fl. I miss Tennessee a lot!!!

ebay id - Blazingstarchicks

11. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Great post on seasoning cast iron Randy. I alway flinch when I see someone say to 'clean' their old cast iron by throwing it into a hot fire. I feel lard is so much better than Crisco (which is an all-vegetable shortening). If you don't want to use Crisco, there are 'creamed shortenings' available that are a mixture of tallow, lard and a wee bit of soybean oil. Better than Criscom IMHO.

Paul, don't have a Griswald but do have a Wagoner waffle iron. Can't help you with using it on an electric stove - I burn everything on electric ranges! Did you get the base for it??

12. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I just used mine last night.
    I also bought my waffle iron on ebay as well. I got mine for dirt cheap because it had
    years of crud built up on it. Pretty nasty looking.
    It was a greasy build up and I tried scrubbing it and DH even tried sandblasting it but it was too gummy.
    Then I just put it in the oven on 350 or so and let it bake (it will stink up your kitchen if you don't run the exhaust) then the stuff cooked into a dry crumbly crud and I was able to just lightly scrub it off.
    Works like a champ now.

I used to have an electric waffle iron that I loved, but it was non stick so I got rid of it. (I got rid of all my non stick.)

Your waffle iron will need seasoning, but it is not difficult, just takes a bit of time. It is something that you won't have to hover over. After I got mine cleaned up it was down to bare metal.

I used canola oil and low heat in the oven, around 250-300. I put a layer of oil on the piece, put it in the oven and let it bake for 1/2 hour-1 hour. Then I would brush on another layer and let it bake again. I did this several times. Canola forms a resin like finish that stores well. It is a far different coating than any other oil will create.

The trick I learned with cooking with my cast iron is to don't oil it until it is hot. If you wait until the piece is hot it will become non stick. I used to have problems with mine sticking and I thought I didn't season properly. Turns out that I had added the oil before I warmed up the iron and the oil would end up sticky.
    I used mine on both my electric range and I just used it last night on my new gas range. Both work, you just have to adjust the temperature to suit. You will need the ring either way.

I get mine warming up before I start mixing the batter. I make sure to flip the iron a couple times to get both sides of the iron heated as evenly as possible. When I am ready to add batter I flip the iron at the last second so the top is hot, quickly spritz both sides of my iron, add the batter quickly and put the lid down. I use a non-aerosol pump for my oil, but you could also just use a brush or a papertowel with a bit of oil on it. My waffles only take a couple minutes since both sides are hot.

Like Laura said, you might have a batch or 2 of chicken food before you get it figured out. I used cast iron on my electric all the time though. No problems.

If you overload your iron with oil it will drip out and it will flame, but it is a quick flash. That is why I specify using a small amount of oil with a spritzer or brush rather than pouring oil directly onto your iron. Also, start with small amounts of batter until you figure out just how much your batter will expand. This will prevent the stuff bubbling out onto your burner which is a royal pain to deal with.

Good luck and enjoy!