How do you like your CORNBREAD?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SteveD(TX), Dec 30, 2004.

1. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I prefer mine UNsweet but can eat it either way. My favorite is jalapeno cornbread with red and green peppers, a little cheese, creamed corn and onion in it. For dessert, hot cornbread with lots of butter and sorghum or ribbon cane syrup. And for a snack, take the cold leftover cornbread and crumble it up into a glass with buttermilk, green onions, salt and pepper. :yeeha:

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Okay, we Yankees call this "Johnny Cake."

....and we never put any dern vegetables in it!

...And we certainly don't stuff our turkeys with it!

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

What a coincidence asking this question. I have just baked Apple Corbread Poke. It smells great and I can't wait to have a bit with some maple syrup.
    This is made by pouring a cup of boiling water over 1 cup of cornmeal. Let this cool and then add one egg and whip this for 5 minutes vigorously. Add 1 tbsp. of melted butter, 2 tsp. of baking power, I cup of chopped apple, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. sugar. (I used apple sauce instead of the apple bits this time). Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour. serve warm and top with heavy cream or drizzle with maple syrup or powder with confectioners sugar. :yum:

I also like Cornbread. Goes excellent with fresh grilled walleye and fresh tomatoes. I'm hungry!

4. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

I'm a Northerner, like mine yellow and sweet!!!

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

CF, I am truly shocked and disappointed that your purty little TEXAS wife has not yet educated you on how to eat. A Thanksgiving without cornbread dressing (not stuffing) is like Christmas without fruitcake!! And I'll bet she laughs every time she hears the term Johnny Cake. :no:

6. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Steve, especially on the dressing(which should'nt have sage in it).I like it unsweetened with butter. I also like it with stoneground cornmeal (Yella). If'n I can't have conrbread, I want corn tortillas. I prefer cornbread with soup, stew, and beans.
    Momma made a pan of cornbread every day!
    Ed

7. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Crumble it up and top it with butter, add some milk and dribble molasses or maple syrup or honey on top.

8. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I like mine a little gritty, not like cake.

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Plain with lots of butter, crumbled up and smothered in white beans. :D

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

fresh ground cornmeal, NO sugar. heat oven to 450, put a big spoon of crisco in a cast iron skillet and let it melt in the oven while you stir up the batter. use about 2 tsp of leavening to a cup or so of meal, as much plain flour as meal, add a teaspoon or so of salt too. stir in an egg, and enough milk, (either sweet milk or buttermilk) to make a thin batter. take skillet out of oven (use a mitt!) and pour melted grease into batter and stir it in. pour batter back into greased skillet and cook until done. this makes the finest cornbread you have tasted in your life, crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. hardly ever any leftovers. :)

i'm gonna make some to go with the blackeyed peas and hog jowl in a couple of days. :D

11. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

TINY bit of sugar in it, and lots of butter on it.

12. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

This thread is makin me hungry!
    I like mine sweetish, with beans and greens and onion relish...

13. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

Marvella,
    That is exactly how my mom always made cornbread. It is the best ever. I however have not mastered the art, but I keep trying!!

14. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

The coarse, stone, ground cornmeal, and not sweet. Best with butter, ham and beans, and greens.

15. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the coarse stone ground making the best cornbread. It adds a nice crunch to it and it must be cooked in cast iron. I definitely prefer it unsweetened, although my kids like it sweet. A trip to a resturant caused that problem. :no: I also like it with peppers in it. Yum! :) I like it served with green snapped blackeyes but you can't find those in Nebraska. Guess I'll have to grow my own next year.
    Best way to use leftover cornbread dressing and turkey. Take the turkey carcass and make a nice stock add leftover turkey with veggies, potatoes and cream and seasoning to make a potpie filling. Pour this in a deep dish and top with leftover dressing. Bake til bubbly. The dressing gets nice and crunchy. My kids love this.

16. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Un-sweet cornbread hot from the skillet with fresh cream butter. Then with pert near anything!
    My favorite snack is cold cornbread crumbled into a big old glass of ice cold buttermilk.

We have it for supper, then if there's any left the next morning, we slice it in half, butter it and stick it under the fire. After it toasts, you can eat it straight or pour on some molasses or honey.

17. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Yuck-o about sugar in the cornbread, we don't do that here!

Cornbread crumbled up in a glass of milk....yummy!!!

18. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

My all time favorite corn bread is with bacon grease melted into the hot cast iron skillet, add onion, chopped jalapenos, cracklins and fresh corn.
    I'm getting hungry again! I've got to stop reading these food threads!!!!! :eek:

19. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

UGH...no sugar in the cornbread! Here's how I make cornbread:

Put an iron skillet in the oven at 375 to heat up. Mix up some cornmeal, an egg and some buttermilk until it's not lumpy (kinda thin). Take the skillet out and melt some shortening in it. Pour in the cornbread batter and cook until brown. Serve with butter.

Now when I was a kid we liked to put peanut butter on our hot cornbread. Or ketchup, but I prefered peanut butter. Haven't tried that in a long time. We also liked to eat it crumbled up in milk and I love it crumbled up with chicken and dumplings poured over. YUMMY.

Oh, it's real good with a fresh green onion too.