How do you know when onions are ready?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jesus Saves, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

How do you know when evergreen bunching onions are ready? Im new at this.

2. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

They are 120 days to harvest. When did you put them in the ground? If you didn't mark the planting day, then pull one of the biggest topped ones to see what size the bulb is. If it's a good eating size, then pull as many as you need, let the ones with smaller tops stay in the ground longer. Did you plant progressive so you'll have new ones ready every week or did you plant them all at the same time? You might want to let a few go to seed so you can collect seed for next year.

3. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

well, oops. I planted all at the same time, but they are different sizes right now. Thanks for the info.

4. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

The evergreen bunching onion is a scallion. It is not a bulbing onion. They're ready whenever you want to use them (I like mine to get about the size of the ones you can buy at the market) As far as succession planting goes, you should have a good supply for awhile if you just eat them at different sizes (or some grow slower as you indicated, so eat the ones that are big, and wait on the rest :)

As far as saving seed goes, onions are biennials. They won't flower until next year to produce seed.