how do you know what the pig weighs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by caroline00, Mar 27, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I know butchering weight is between 200#-300# but how do I know what he weighs? We dont have a livestock scale. With our goats, we have a weigh tape that we can use but what do I do about pigs?

Thanks!

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If they are on a full feed/complete ration, they should be there at about 3-4 months. I prefer to go to 350 with my own, this is of course for home use.

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

use a weigh tape for pigs

240 is the 'magic' weight where most pigs begin to taper off in a feed to weight gain ratio - mine usually achieve this from 40-50 lbs in about 5 months on pasture with supplemental feed.

4. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

I made a note years ago that 39 to 40 inches around the girth is a good slaughter weight...what exactly that weight is, escapes me...probably around the 220 to 240 mark?
    Personally, I like them a little closer to 300 or so..bigger chops; more bacon, yum yum.

How we measured for years (prior to getting a good barter on a walk thru scale) was this:
    Take a length of twine (old baler twine does a fine job) and run it around the pig's girth. Then take another piece of twine and run it from between the shoulder blades and back to the base of the tail.
    Now take a tape measure and measure each piece.
    Take the Girth X Girth and X by Length. Divide by 400. This gives a good (approximate) weight for the pig.

5. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

This is good info. Please do tell us;

Where do you measure girth? Just behind the front legs?

Length seems plain enough; between shoulder blades to base of tail.

If you have any details to add, please do.
    Ox

6. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I looked it up

measure behind the front legs up around the shoulder
    measure from the top of the head (between the ears) to the base (not the tip) of the tail.

Thanks everyone

7. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

For us it was a guess ... My husband guessed at 7mos that she was about 220 and he was close, she was 224. She got pulverized corn 2x a day and any scraps from the house ... which wasn't always very much, if any. We're going to keep the next ones a little longer, 9 mos maybe. They look like different breeds, so they might grow differently ...

8. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Hey Redhead, your formula reminds me of HS algebra, which I hated !! Pie R square? No, Pie are round , haha.