How do you keep from killing yourself?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lt. Wombat, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We have an aunt visiting from the Los Angeles area. She lives less than 45 miles from her work but spends 2 hours per day (each way) commuting and lives in a super high density subdivision where all the houses look identical due to the home owners association.

Last night was her fifth here and all was usual; quiet, dark with elk bugling after sunset and coyotes way off in the distance. All at once she says, “How do you keep from killing yourselves here? This place is so boring! I feel like throwing myself on something sharp just so I can hear a siren!!”

She went on to say the “quiet” was driving her insane, the “stupid animals (our livestock) are so annoying with their yelling” (bleeting), our rooster needs to “get a life and shut up already”, the roads are so bumpy you “can’t get up over 50 on them” and it’s “so damn dark you have to use a flashlight to see anything at night”.

I told her, “you’re right….and we’ll live this way as long as we’re able”

So for all you other country living folks, how do you keep from killing yourselves due to the quiet, dark and serene life of the country?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Wow. It is amazing what city people accustom themselves to noise. I'm pretty much the opposite of your aunt. I might impale myself on a corner hydrant with the amount of noise and air pollution belching out in cities. It may be exciting for a bit, but then I enjoy getting back to my peace and quiet.

Was fuuny once in early March off in the distance a wolf howl started in and the entire calling of wolves and coyotes for miles around was like soundsurround cacophony. City slicker brother felt refreshed to hear the noise mixed in with barking dogs in the house prompted him to say 'What the hell's going on'. :haha: I bet in the city with a siren churning, he would barely blink to notice. But, this is also the guy who noticed a nasty 'chemical smell' while driving through an isolate pine forest.

Let's let the city folk enjoy their noise, and we'll enjoy ours. :D

3. Chuck123

Chuck123 Well-Known Member

I think that the quiet is part of what keeps us from feeling suicidal. :)

After having to live in a city/suburb situation for two years, we had forgotten how quiet the country was, maybe never noticed it since we had no camparison, so when we came back out, it did seem odd at first!!! :)

Hope your aunt manages ok, and hopefully comes to appreciate, even a little, the quiet. :)

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I just had a good friend pay $166,000.00 for a three bedroom, one bath house on a 75'x150' lot in New Jersey cause he likes the beach.

Trouble is he is no where near the beach.

I explained to him before he even looked for a house he could move near me and buy a beautiful home on a lake, we don't have beaches, for about $50,000.00 max.

When he called me and told me they put the money down on the NJ house I realized "People will do what they feel confortable doing and no more no less" as long as there is minium risk involved, and that is ok with me.

My wife and I took a big risk, sold our business and retired to a new state because we wanted to live in the country and be at peace with the world and we did it, with a lot of faith in, and help from God and so far it has been great.

We moved from Houston Texas 2,009,960 POP as of 2003 to a small town area with a pop of 356.

We are happy and my buddy, well he still complains about taxes and the type of people that inhabit NJ. But that is just him.

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Let's see...if the Aunt was to make the choice of thinking how wonderful your life is with the quiet...the animals...the peace if would require that she accept how wrong she was to live in the Los Angelos area with the matching houses, commute, sirens etc. etc. -- Now that would be a real life changing event -- so much easier for her to find fault with your choosen lifestyle right?

Just be thankful you are not influenced very easily by other's opinions...how long is she going to be there anyway? Do I need to start looking for a symphany card?

Hugs
    marlene

6. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

My brother and his daughter came to visit from LA for Thanksgiving. Pretty much the same reaction. They weren't interested in any of the animals or doing anything around here. The daughter asked if there was a mall close, the closest is about 100 miles. Kinda funny. They only stayed about 30 hours and headed back to civilization. If they only knew what they were missing.

7. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

I think I would have been tempted to choke her! I hate it when someone tries to put down things in the country as being inferior to city life. I have a sister like that and it drives me insane. She is so proud of her condo in Dallas and I wouldn't live where she lives for any amount of money. Oh well...to each his own I suppose.

Trisha

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I think I would have to ask her the same thing. "How can you live in the armpit of the USA without throwing yourself to your death off that stupid Hollywood sign?"

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

She's here to watch my cousin, her daughter, graduate from college this weekend. Then she will drive like the wind to get back to a "real life".

Just wait until my cousin tells her she has decided to stay with us until she get's accepted into a graduate program rather then return to L.A. and waiting! Personally I think she is getting really serious with a pro bull rider she has been seeing for about 6 months and would not be surprised if she stayd in the midwest forever. Hope my cousin knows we're serious about moving south this summer so she had better have a plan of action inplace!!

10. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll never understand how people can come to a farm/homestead, and not want to see the animals!! But it happens at my place, too. There are goats, sheep, rabbits, ducks and chickens, but they just are not interested.

My best friend just bought a house on a strip of land between I81North and south. The noise from traffic is deafening.

11. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I live in Los Angeles and make that long commute. I HATE EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I’m still dreaming of the day my wife and I can make the move to the country.

12. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Just be grateful that most people in this country feel like your aunt.
    Otherwise we wouldn't have the country to ourselves.

13. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I wish there were more like her. Maybe the countryside wouldn't be so crowded if more people liked living in the cesspools, I mean cities :)

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Any major change is a wrench. Personally, I turned the radio on before I got used to the quiet.

But, a Bull rider? My oh my oh my! With your Aunts opinion of the country, she is gonna SPLIT something when she finds out! :eek:

15. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I feel stressed out anytime I have to go into a city. My mother in law hates our house in the country because it's surrounded by the forest and on a dirt road. She told us she hates trees!!! Can you imagine? She hates dirt roads because it gets their cars dirty and she especially hates our animals - especially my chicken and our horses. She complains to everyone about us living out here and that my husband has to do so much work. He likes the work and he does alot of it gladly as he doesn't have to go to a job every day. But she would rather he did that and paid for everything and sat on the couch and watched tv (we don't watch tv at all) all day long. Even though she knows this is what he prefers!!!

16. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

That was a very good responce from you, and you're right, to each his own. I personally do better without noise, so do my kids. MIL likes her house in town with the dime sized lot and I'm fine with that, I know she'll never try to move in. Love at a distance is sometimes the best answer. :haha: And tell your neice congrats on the cowboy, they are in a catagory all thier own. :D

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I was thinking the other night you never seen a Pole light for miles around here.Now you see them all over :waa: Next thing you know someone will put up Christmas Lights :eek:

Colder weather coming won't be long you see the Kids taking their Ice Skates to school.

Never had anyone but Coyote Hunters come down our road.Now got people coming up and down it 5-6 times a day.

I'll admit I started this there use to be no Fences around here then I put up good fence seemed all the neighbors had to.

If you hear Sirens around here you better go check it out because one of your neighbors is having troubles.

I went to Kansas City,said something to a Guy about the Smog :eek: Man he freaked out said they didn't have smog!! I guess its a natural brown :confused:

big rockpile

18. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

At the ripe old age of 18 (and this was many moons and a couple of life times ago), I moved from Chicago to The Suburbs. The quiet was deafening. It took me a couple of weeks to become accustomed to the quiet and dark, but I came to like it very much.

Now, nearly 30 years later, I cannot abide being in The City, and I gotta tell ya, The Suburbs aren't doing it for me anymore, either. They've all become Mini-Chicagos. Okay, not all of them. Some of them are fenced-in mosaleums (sp?) McMansions, where I do believe the rich folk have gone to die AND take it with them. Wouldn't know for sure, though, because I'm pretty sure me and my '82 Jeep CJ aren't allowed in there.

Each time we come back from our land in WI, it gets a little harder to live here in Suburban Illinois. I cannot stand my 1-1/2 hour round trip commute to work, I cannot stand the demanding yuppie parents in the oh-so-politically-correct school district in which I work, I cannot tolerate seeing only a couple of stars in the sky when I know there are millions of them up at The Property...

So, if people are happy living in The City (and LA is probably worse than Chicago in some ways), I guess you can't convince them otherwise. Some people don't WANT to know that meat doesn't come from styrofoam factories, that vegetables aren't supposed to be covered in oil, that there is a season for everything.

I feel kind of sorry for them, and for me. They want to stay. I want to get out.

19. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Where are her manners???? What an ungrateful guest! I think she should clean stalls as punishment! :yeeha:

I think alot of city folk are afraid to slow down long enough to know who they really are and find out what really matters.....I like life in the slow lane out in the country...catnapping on the lawn with a goat chewing its cud beside me. ;) Sure beats my snoring husband :eek:

20. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

well, I have managed to not kill myself for the last 2 1/2 years by not walking down steep leaf covered enbankments with my hands in my pockets, and making sure there is enough fire wood ready for the winter, not riding the horse while alone, not letting animals mob me while I carry feed, not climbing over barbwire fences, not pointing loaded guns at myself, not falling off the tractor while brushhogging, not letting goats or horses walk up behind me on the edge of a ravine, not letting trees fall on me as that are cut down. not standing near the wood pile as the goats climb on it. learning to NOT leave food the dog will steal on top of the stove because he puts his feet on the knobs and turns the gas on while the wood stove is burning in the same room, >it this happened twice before I figured it out and I am cured< and I avoid city driving.