How do you house your bunnies?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by steve-in-kville, Nov 26, 2005.

How do you house your rabbits?

1. Indoors in cages

2. Outdoors in hutches

3. Indoors in "colonies"

4. Outdoors, fenced, in "colonies"

5. Other? Please describe...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Raised Bed Artist

How are your rabbits housed? Cages? Free-range? Indoors or outdoors?

steve

2. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Outdoors in Hutches.
    1 Single for my Buck.
    1 Double for my 2 Does. (Basically 2 Singles combined into one large hutch, with a wooden wall seperating them).

3. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I house mine in outdoor hutches. this is my 1st year with this...i got 3, 2 pen hutches for 50 bucks last winter...so i was excited to get them full. In the winter now i have stapled feed sacks around the outside to help stop the wind...What do other people do to help in the winter? thanks!
    AJ

4. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Raised Bed Artist

I am also curious what others do to insulate outdoor hutches in the winter.

Thanks for the replies and votes thus far!

steve

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

When my hub uttered those 'fatal' words .. "Honey I'd like to eat home raised rabbit" ... :p

I had at home an empty 3ft w x 3 ft h x 9 ft long 'hutch' ,, we had built for quail - wire floors and wood / wire sides - 4 holes ,,

I had hub build another one 3ft x 3ft x 8 ft - 4 holes ,, we had the wood , wire and metal sheeting and room for hutches and not too much room inside our henhouse ,,

Hub has rearranged our outside area now ,, again ,, :grump: and with just the trio and their offspring I think I'm setup well now ,,

I use semi-clear plastic sheeting to block the winds ,, stapled all around the sides of the hutch and just give them extra straw when its supposed to go below freezing ,,,

6. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

We have ours set up different from alot of people. "I think" We have an advantage from other people as we have barn, our acutal barn is 40 by 60 and with us now only keeping sheep in the barn at times we have quite a good size area that is available for my other creatures.

This is my set up. I have a 12' by 11' boxstall. I have it full of straw and hay with a enough little huts for the rabbits to go into when they want to get away from each other. I have 1 large food dish and 2 large water dishes. I have 3 bucks and one doe in the boxstall as well as 3 feathered friends. :D

I have the doe divided off from the males in a pen that is 4' by 8' and then the 3 bucks and 2 juvenile white silkies and one older silkie rooster are in the large part. The doe has a hut, that is large enough for her and if she is pregnant it is large enough for a nest.

Mine have been kept outside in a dog kennel that is 7 by 13 for the past year,(only the 3 males) I liked them outside but in the winter it gets so cold and the water freezes in minutes up here. Also in the summer mine would dig out and run around the yard, thats the only problem with that set up, and I just thought the rabbits did better with more area than being kept in cages and smaller pens.

Sorry for writing a story.

Melissa

7. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

We keep ours in wire cages which are single hung in rows about 3-3 1/2 feet above the floor inside of our old dairy barn. We have mostly large cages because we raise NZW's. The large cages are 30"x36". We also have some 30"x30" cages which we want to replace with larger ones. Each rabbit has it's own cage. Litters stay with does until weaned at around 8 weeks. If we are keeping some of the bunnies for breeding stock we can keep them together till they are a bit older. Several bunnies can stay in one cage- sometimes we will put all girls in one cage and all boys in another, but eventually they get too big and get moved to their own cages.

8. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

Single hung wire cages under roof, but no walls as it's too hot down here and we need the air flow. We tarp in the coldest months.

MikeL

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have a rabbitry built on as an addition to our barn. The rabbits are in hanging cages.

10. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

we have 2 setups. one is the commercial rabbits in barn in wire cages.

the other is a colony that we are currently expanding and moving. these are 3 does and a rex buck that we run together all the time. one of them kindled about 5 weeks ago. these babies are growing much slower than the nzw's in the barn do, but that is ok, as they are for us to eat or for sale as pets. we are building a frame that will have 1" chicken wire around it to hold them in, the ground is rock. we are placing it under a tree. they will have hay bales to burrow in and we will build a little dry house for them over the hay bales to help them stay dry.

11. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

Last year I had my rabbits outside with no real wind break except for a few tarps and I didn't lose as single rabbit due to temps.
    This year we have a pole barn type building with a slanted roof, no walls. The cages are hanging from the rafters. We put up heavy tarps on all walls when the temps started dropping. DH is talking about getting a barrel stove kit and installing that in the center of the building to help keep the temps up a little during the coldest part of the winter.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I checked 'other' but probably could have done 'cages, inside'. The small rabbit barn has three sides to it, with the southern side open, but covered with 2 x 4 wire. Cages are hung over worm beds. In winter, I cover most of the open side with clear roll plastic, that I can roll up on warmer days. Since the other sides are made of rough cut lumber intentially nailed up green, there are spaces between the boards to allow for air flow even in winter. Remember, I have angoras, and am in NC, so the weather fluctuates dramatically. The risk of over-heating is far bigger than being too cold.

Meg

13. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

We've got kind of a wierd setup. The rabbits are housed in "standard" wire cages, but we hung the cages inside quonset hut-style "hoophouses" (8' X 16' X 6'-ish high) built from cattle panels and put on skids. The whole works get moved about once a week, and I don't have to shovel manure! :D Unfortunately, the roof REALLY isn't strong enough to support all that weight, and the older house has a nice swayback to it. When it snows...Part of the problem is that the hoophouses are built a bit too long, but I think a shorter version would do ok.

rabbitgal

14. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

From April to the end of this month, they are outside in hutches. In the winter they'll be colonie style for four months, then out to the hutches again. Mainly it's because of freezing water in the winter--they only have to have a big dish of water in the colony set up, vs. little fiddly dishes that freeze all the time in the outside hutches.

Jennifer

15. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

My Rabbits are outside in wooden Hutches. They do really well, even in the winter.