Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mom to 6 great kids!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are so bad and decimating my eggplant and potatoes. What do you all do w/these things?

Thanks,
JennNY

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
We pick them, all sizes, starting when we find the first one. Also rub off the eggs. Sometimes we do it twice a day.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
We do the same as wisjim. We don't use chems.We go to the garden 4 or 5 times a day.Now I'm scared I need to go to the garden.Later.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Last year we tried dusting and sevin liquid. They laughed at us.

This year we squished and squished and squished and squished. Bugs, eggs, larva.
Lots better results.

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
Same as wisjim. I pick them and feed them to the chickens. Mush the eggs. Weird thing...this year I didn't have a single one. Guess I mushed all the eggs last year!

·
Mom to 6 great kids!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We pick and pick and pick them off too... ughhhhhhhhh.. we did it 2x today and my plants both times were covered!

Didn't know if there was anything out there to try, to get rid of them.

I read they get immune to Sevin and other chemicals out there. I was looking for a natural insecticide. But, I guess just squishing them is the best.

Thanks,
Jenn

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
A couple of guineas will pick off gobs of potato beetles and other garden insect pests.
In heavy infestations, I've used 1% rotenone powder. Apply it in the morning, especially if a dew is present so it sticks to the plant, but if it rains it will wash off so you'll have to reapply. Neem oil is supposed to be safe and effective, though I've never tried it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
JennNY said:
We pick and pick and pick them off too... ughhhhhhhhh.. we did it 2x today and my plants both times were covered!

Didn't know if there was anything out there to try, to get rid of them.

I read they get immune to Sevin and other chemicals out there. I was looking for a natural insecticide. But, I guess just squishing them is the best.

Thanks,
Jenn
Yes, there is a natural, organically approved, insecticide for colorado potato beetles, it is a variety of BT

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/btsd.html

I could not raise potatoes without it, we have way too many beetles to hand pick and we grow about 250 feet of potatoes. I do hand pick most bugs in my garden, but not colorado potato beetles. Actually I start out hand picking, then spray with BT when they get out of control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts